Calories

I have just done week 6 run 2 and I am amazed that I have made it this far. I am trying to lose weight and as I run on the treadmill at the gym I have been noting how many calories the treadmill says I have burned each run. It seems that the more time I spend running the fewer calories I am burning. Is that right? It seems unfair that I am covering more distance but using fewer calories. I assume there is a scientific explanation but I've got no clue what it is........help please.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I would take the calorie counter on the treadmill with a pinch of salt.

• Thank you. I know they're not very reliable but was a bit disheartened to see it going down.

• I wouldn't trust the calorie counter on a treadmill as far as I could throw it tbh.

As a general rule of thumb, a person running at 10 min/mile pace would be burning around 11cal/min.

Depending on how fast you are going, your weight, metabolic rate etc, you would expect to be burning somewhere around the 200 cal mark by W6

• Thanks. I go VERY slowly but was confused that it was going down. Will keep going regardless - any calories are more than I burn sitting on the sofa.

• Absolutely, and they all add up.

You may also like...