Couch to 5K
54,949 members87,488 posts

Calories

I have just done week 6 run 2 and I am amazed that I have made it this far. I am trying to lose weight and as I run on the treadmill at the gym I have been noting how many calories the treadmill says I have burned each run. It seems that the more time I spend running the fewer calories I am burning. Is that right? It seems unfair that I am covering more distance but using fewer calories. I assume there is a scientific explanation but I've got no clue what it is........help please.

5 Replies
oldestnewest

I would take the calorie counter on the treadmill with a pinch of salt.

1 like

Thank you. I know they're not very reliable but was a bit disheartened to see it going down.

I wouldn't trust the calorie counter on a treadmill as far as I could throw it tbh.

As a general rule of thumb, a person running at 10 min/mile pace would be burning around 11cal/min.

Depending on how fast you are going, your weight, metabolic rate etc, you would expect to be burning somewhere around the 200 cal mark by W6

1 like

Thanks. I go VERY slowly but was confused that it was going down. Will keep going regardless - any calories are more than I burn sitting on the sofa.

Absolutely, and they all add up.

1 like

You may also like...