Couch to 5K
60,180 members92,825 posts

Attack of the Gremlin!

I feared he would turn up eventually and he has. I guess I should have taken another days rest after my first run this week (2), as I seem to have put too much stress on my left knee, and irritated an old injury. I guess I will wait it out until the swelling goes down. Might have to restart at week one!

7 Replies
oldestnewest

Oh, dear. Ice and rest, and read up on the forum to keep the motivation stoked up until your next run. I wouldn't go back to the beginning - just do the run you should have done. Depending on the old injury, maybe you should think about strapping it or supporting it in some way? I hope it feels better tomorrow.

1 like

Oh no! Rest and ice sounds like the order of the day - I'm sure you could restart at week 2 rather than go back to week 1 - but it depends how long you are out of action for. Fingers crossed it's not too long!

1 like

I would have a go at run 2 of week 2, once your knee is fine, slow and steady, but do what you feel is best for you. I can empathise. Wishing you a speedy recovery. 😊

1 like

Sorry to hear you're struggling. Yes, a few extra days rest can often be better than causing an injury. Hope it gets better soon. I don't think you'll need to restart - you should be able to go straight back to Week 2 but see how you feel when the time comes round. Perhaps you could try strength and flex exercises on rest days to strengthen your knee once it's better?

1 like

Yes, I think strengthening and flexion exercises are great advice. Its funny, the original injury happened so long ago I forget to consider it, until it becomes an issue. Feeling better today. Will give it at least another days rest then try again :)

1 like

My knee put me out for over six months a few years ago, then when I got back out on the running tack of life my other knee went but I knew how to deal with it so it didn't keep me on the IC as long. I still do strengthening exercises every day. Take care of that knee, it is an important hinge!

1 like

Strengthening exercises every day is wise advice. I think you are right, I need to think long-term prevention and maintenance. As much as I would like to get back out there, I need to remember that if I run before I recover I will be delayed even longer. At least I am still learning about running even though I can't run today :)

1 like

You may also like...