Week 4 - Should I walk to warm down?

Hi guys!

I'm about to start Week 4 of the Couch to 5K programme. I haven't listened to the audio for Week 4 yet, so apologies if this question is answered in it already.

Looking at the format though, each run appears to end with five minutes' running, with no warm-down walk. Is this by design, or should I add my own five-minute walk at the end?

Thanks in advance!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

10 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • You definitely do a cool down walk. The stretch after that (well I do)!

• Yes, you should always do a 5 minute warm up walk before you run and a cool down walk afterwards.

• Thanks guys :) I've only just created an account for this forum and this is my first post. It's amazing (and amazingly helpful) how fast people respond!

• Yep - all the runs in the program involve 5 minute warm up and warm down - even in your final week when you run for 30 minutes :-)

• And I still do it four years after graduation. I always know when I've skimped on it because that's when I feel the need to stretch.

Those walks work... they get both your body and your head in the right place before and after.

• Don't worry, Laura will tell you what to do!

• Yep - the walk is there as others have said. I end up having an even longer walk sometimes as my route has taken me further than I intended. Walk to wind down & stretch to help avoid injury is advice I've been given & worked for last 10 weeks. Enjoy the run!!

• Always the warm up and cool down walk - even when Laura is no longer there to tell you!

Well done on your progress!

• Yep, definitely do the cool down walk and don't forget your stretches after too! Well done on reaching week 4. It really is the best programme :) Looking forward to your future posts!

• I often end up with much longer cool down walks coz I finish the running so far from home but actually think that helps sometimes. I asked the same question when I reached week 4 by the way - it is a bit confusing ๐Ÿ˜€

You may also like...