How did I get these superpowers?

I went out tonight planning to go beyond 5k for the first time and after the first few minutes I knew it was going to be a good run and I decided that today was going to be my first 6k.

But then the Endomondo voice told me that I had run 1 km. Already? Me? A lap time below 7, well below 7 even? I could hardly believe it, but made a quick decision to not try to go further than usual, but try to beat my own 5k record instead.

And I did! My second lap time was even lower at 6:24 and the full 5k was done in 33:53. I shaved more than 5 minutes off my previous record and I was 7 minutes faster than last week! Incredible!

It was almost as good a graduation all over again :-)

I'm chuffed to bits by my time, but what on earth has happened to me? How can one's speed increase by that much? Maybe I am really turning into Pippi?

Wish you could see the smile on my face :-)

39 Replies

• Iben, that's wonderful! All that training is slowly (sorry quickly!) paying off. An excellent time - you'll be running 6k in no time and the magic 5k in 30 mins has moved closer! Well done😎

• Yes! I thought just that. Only last week I was thinking that I was never going to get any faster and definitely never going to go below 30 minutes... I was even beginning to get to terms with that. Now I believe it can be done in time. Wow.

• Rocket girl :-).

• Well done, Iben. That's speedy! Keep wearing that smile!!

• It is so speedy! :-) :-)

• Really pleased for you Iben. That running group and your interval training must be paying off. Shaving 5 from your PB would be good if you were talking about seconds but 5 minutes is wonderful and I think I can just about see your smile from here.

• The running club is an important component, I am sure. Training with others really pushes my limits every time. And I think it is both the intervals and the strength training - and my weight loss - which is paying off now. But still - 5 minutes? It is crazy!

• 'Strongest girl in the world' 🏋🏽you must be chaneling your inner Pippi! All the raft building must have helped too!

Hurrah for you 💐

• This morning my hips are aching a bit from yesterday's craziness - I'm afraid I am not Pippi in disguise :-) But I think you are right about the raft building or at least all the strength training I have been doing - it does perhaps in some strange way help running to train your core and arms...

• Iben , that's brilliant !!! Well done you , 5 minutes off your previous record is just absolutely amazing !

You've put the work in and its paid off big time , who knows what you can achieve next ?

Be very very proud of yourself Iben, its all coming together and I am so happy for you xxx

• Oh thank you Poppypug. I am so proud! And planning on going flying next week :-)

• That's brilliant. And I think I feel your smile through my phone! Well done indeed 🏃🏻😃🎉👏🏼

• Smiley. Very smiley post :) a whole 5 minutes? That's incredible. You must be thrilled :) :) :)

• I am thrilled - but also beginning to worry if it was just a once-in-a-lifetime thing... 5 minutes.... crazy

• Great work! You have reignited the hope of me one day reaching the sub 30mins 5k.

• Me too :-)

• Wow! That's fantastic Iben - you've torn up the record books and thrown them in the bin :)

• That's what superwomen do! Thank you 90ldfinch. Good to see you around, with a new photo even. How is your injury going? Any chances you will get back out there any time soon?

• Good news- I started running again this week. Did a 4.7k on Tuesday and a 5.5k yesterday, so I'm very happy to be back :)

I thought shaving my beard off would make me more aerodynamic- it hasn't :)

• Fantastic! Very good news.

• Woohoo that's amazing! Sub30 before you know it :)

• Or at least there is still hope that it might happen one day :-)

• Well done iben that's a brilliant improvement x

• Thank you Aliboo :-)

• As Pippi would say, "...but if it's can it be a lie? "...because you did, you did it!!!

Terrific Iben, such amazing things, that you have achieved, through your determination... you are a real inspiration to us all!

The best bit is though, your journey keeps right on going and you are enjoying it..

• Thank you dear Floss! Pippi is not just strong, she is also very wise in her own childish manner.

I have not been able to see a whole lot of progress neither in my times nor in distances since I did my first 5k, so I was beginning to think it wasn't going anywhere.

Not that it really mattered, because I am enjoying the journey itself immensely.

But it is great to see and feel that my body, my mind too i guess, is getting stronger.

• PS

The smile looks wonderfulx

• Wow, that's amazing! I've never had such a massive jump in one go! You must be very chuffed!

• Thank you. I don't know what happened :-) I think maybe I have had it in me for a while to go a little faster but have been afraid of trying - getting through the c25k programme was all about slowing down. And then yesterday it just all came together...

• Iben, that's brilliant! Congratulations, that must feel wonderful :) Well done, I'm very pleased for you :)

Oh, by the way - how did you get those superpowers? You worked hard, you trained, you put the effort in, and it all paid off! You earned them :)

• Thank you Annie. It really does feel wonderful and you are right I did work hard and sweat a lot to get there - but I am glad to say I loved almost every step of the way :-)

• I bet u ll be doing that 5k under 25mins in no time ;)

• Maybe not in no time, but I am beginning to believe it is possible for me to get there one day :-)

• Seems like I believe in u more than u do :)

• Everybody on this forum believes more in me than I do :-) :-) :-)

• Keep some space ready for those trophies... I see them coming home real soon :) :) :) May be in the dreaded zombie run u told las time itself.

• I ran 5k in about 27-28 minutes and, feeling chuffed and full of myself, I googled the world record for running 5k. It's just over 12 and a half minutes. Cue hysterical laughter...

• It is unbelievably fast! Faster than my fastest sprints, I think :-) To me, even your 27 minutes seem out of reach. You seriously have to change your username when you are sub30! You are no longer plodding!

• I bet that felt brilliant well done!

You may also like...