Running at '10 to 2'

Opinions please! When I walk my feet spread and would point to '10 to 2' on a clock face.  When I saw th video of my recent gait analysis as I ran they looked like Donald Duck's flippers flapping away to the sides!! My question is, should I try to correct this as I run, or stick with the gait I've had all my life?  I can argue that either may lead to injury in the long run.  I am just about to start week 4 so the running is ramping up!!

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I've never thought of this...  I'd probably keep running as is for now, your body has probably accommodated to your stride.  Maybe you even ran like that as a kid.  It would be worth asking at your next doctor's appointment or checking with a physio if you get any pain.  

What did the folks doing the analysis say?

• There's not much you can do about the direction your feet point, save from an operation, which is a bit extreme.

Besides, if the people conducting your gait analysis didn't pick up on it, then why stress about it?

Have a look at the gait and feet of Nigel Amos , Olympic 800m silver medallist at London. If memory serves me well, his feet point outward as well.

Have they caused you any difficulty so far?

• Thanks guys. The gait analysis was that I needed 'neutral' trainers as I have no pronation. No, I've had no problems to date - I guess it was just seeing myself run on the screen really brought it home!

• its such a difficult question to answer, everybody is different.  I can only comment on myself.  Long before I started running I suffered with sacroiliac joint problems.  Sometimes being in agony for weeks.  It wasn't until I was referred for physio it came to light it was because I walked with my feet pointing out.  I know this was due to a lot of ballet when I was younger I always used to walk that way purposely.  All I would say is stretch your glutes to help keep your joints protected and if you get any long term niggles have them looked at. Prevention is a lot easier than  injury, not that I think you are going to get injured. 

You may also like...