First run on a treadmill?!

This morning I was prepared for a windy and possibly drizzly run but having looked out of the window, it's a torrential storm in these parts! I need to run today- can't put it off- so I've decided to head to the local gym to use a treadmill for run 1 of week 7. Any advice regarding speeds and inclines? These are things I don't have to think about setting up when running outside!  

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I have never been on one...but good luck anyway :)

• At this stage , and with it being a one-off probably, I wouldn't bother with the incline, but if you must, to replicate outdoors, set it to 1%.

Re: speed, it's hard to say. As a guide, 10.0 km/h is equivalent to a 30 minute 5k, so that's probably too fast. 8km/h is equivalent to a 40 min 5k.

Probably best to find your brisk walking speed first, then increase the speed a touch so you break into a jog.

Hope that helps. 

• Thank you!

• Weather is clearing up this afternoon...

• So....sorry if I'm too late. I run at 6-6.5 km/hr and walk at 5. I find it manageable for the entire 28 mins, with a little up and down if I need to catch my breath. I did weeks 1-3 at 7km/her but found that too fast for even 5 min runs. 

• Nah, not a clue 😕  don't use em

• Thanks all- great advice. I ran it at 8kmph and it felt fine. Far nicer than the storm outside! 

You may also like...