Recovering from super hot first post-Glastonbury run

Well I thought a morning run could just about be got away with, being the coolest part of the day on potentially the hottest day of the year so far. 9 days since my last run and I really just needed to get out. But my already surnburnt face and shoulders got even more burnt despite lashings of factor 30, and my festival-tired legs were certainly not up to speed. My pace was all over the place, managing 8:50 in the first km followed by 9:44 in the second, showing I was getting overtired, but I had two spurts where I really ran, one of which motivated by the sight of some shade up ahead on my route, the second at the end when I saw the finishing point coming up. So overall, my run was okay. 4.23km at 8:49min/k. But anyone else wondering whether to go out for a run today should definitely think twice. Despite drinking a pint of water before I went out I got a dehydration headache, and I think my sunblock got washed off my face with all the sweat! Recovering now before heading out for long day at college then work in sweaty London.

14 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • Well done you for attempting it in this heat. It's really draining isn't it. Still, you did it and you'll recover with rest and fluids. No respite today though so you'll have to hang out indoors with the fan on

• It's a bit mad, yes. I only saw 2 other runners. And all the park staff I saw looked exhausted working in that heat. At least I was out there by choice!

• Good for you. I ran about two hours ago, very slowly, and my face is still pink! We must be mad.

• Yes completely mad. Still haven't quite got rid of the headache, despite drinking pints and pints of water!

• Haha I too ran but only managed 2 miles I was completely done in pace was atrocious but he thought we still have given it a go πŸ˜€

• Nice one. I think we have a valid excuse today for performing below par!

• I know exactly how you feel, my first post Glasto run was pretty slow last night!

• You understand that mega tired legs feeling then! This heat doesn't help too...

• I ran in the gym on a treadmill - the air-con was doing overtime and it was still too warm.

• I'm stuck at work right now with a roaring air con that seems to be doing very little to reduce the temperature too...

• I'm yet to get back on the road since Glastonbury, had the crazy notion of taking my running shoes but didn't...I was greeted by a festival goer in full running gear Thursday morning on my way back from the long drop...that's dedication!! He was not the only one either!

• I think I saw some people running too. I was too busy dancing. Burned about 1000 calories just watching Suede 😊

Hope you get back out soon, perhaps when the heat eases off!

• I'm waiting until Saturday's parkrun, it'll be interesting to see how I feel then...great way to lose weight and strengthen the legs :)

Just about recovered now from a brilliant weekend, hope you had as good a time as me :)

• Yes was excellent. Feel very lucky. Good luck for sat's parkrun. I'll try again tomorrow morning, as early as I can manage to get up to beat the heat

You may also like...