My knees again!

Hi all, I posted on Sunday re having just completed wk 1 n getting knee n ankle pain. Got some good advice - so decided to do plenty of stretching, ice and an extra rest day. Started wk 2 today, walking parts ok, 1st 90 sec run knees were SORE!! But eased off as I got into it tho they felt uncomfortable throughout. Ankles relatively ok. But now, a few hrs after, my knees are agony!! Just below kneecap. I'm going to an osteopath tomorrow for a shoulder issue and am going to ask his opinion but honestly I'm not sure I'll b able to continue like this. I know I need to invest in better shoes but don't want to if I'm not going to keep running, bit of a catch 22 situation. If it wasn't for the pain the 90 secs run wld seem a lot more manageable! So frustrating, not sure what to do?

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • As you say, it is a bit of a catch 22.

If the shoes are the root of the problem, and it often/usually is, then the one thing you cannot do is to keep on running in them. You don't have to spend a small fortune on new running shoes but what you have on your feet do have to be suitable for you.

I appreciate that it is difficult to be sure whether running would be a thing that 'floats your boat' after only a week or so but realistically you are probably going to have to make that call before investing (or not) in some new trotters!

• I was icing my left knee up to week two and now it's fine it's the muscles in my thighs now ache after a run. I always have a hot bath after. My surface is very flat and springy (grass) so lucky with that. Good luck with it x

• Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are having knee problems.

It takes a while for the body to adapt to new exercise.

It happens to me if I try something new or harder.

You could try easing back a bit and see if that helps. For instance if your knees hurt after 90 secs--try running for 30 secs and see if this helps. Then you can build it up from there and perhaps walk some of the running sections.

I know the program gives a set plan but it can be adapted until you get stronger.

Also it is ok to repeat a week as often as you like.

Good luck :)

• I had a lot of really bad knee pain early on, during runs, such that I thought I would have to give up. It got to the stage where it even hurt to walk.

I took a week off, to start with, then added ni extra rest days. I got some knee braces, took anti-inflammatories and paid attention to my gait (I worked out that if I went slowly enough I could make sure I ran 'through' my foot from heel to toe, so I was giving less of a jolt to my knees than landing with a flat foot). I also made sure I warmed up properly and stretched my hip flexors, quads etc as I had read that tight muscles can stop your knee joint working smoothly and put strain on one or other sides of it.

That did the trick for me.

I was relieved that it wasn't an age-related joint problem. My muscles and joints gradually got over the massive shock caused them by running.

(Of course, once I sorted my knees, my Achilles started playing up, but that's another story)

Stick at it if you can - the log-term benefits are fantastic!

You may also like...