First post grad run

I made a 33 minute playlist last night that included a countdown of songs at the end “6 degrees of separation”, “5 colours in her hair” etc. I decided to go right off my usual round the houses route and went down to the sea. Ran along the promenade, across the wet sand for about 1/2km (that was quite tiring) and along the promenade again. 33 minutes seemed a very long time – maybe because I wasn’t on the usual route and didn’t know where I would finish.

My plan is to increase the time of my run until I get to 5km. 33 minutes this week, 36 minutes next week and hopefully 40 minutes will take me over the 5km mark. I didn’t take my GPS watch with me today as it wasn’t charged up so I don’t know how far I went today. Do you think that plan is sensible?

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • If it feels good, it's probably sensible. Just don't overdo it. You don't have to make every run this week 33 minutes. Vary them - a 33 minute one day followed by a 30 minutes round the houses the next time. If you find the jump up at any stage too much, just have a few more days at the level you are at.

• Thanks Adam. :)

• I seem to recall it took me about 3 weeks from the 30 minute graduation to achieving my first 5k run, and I think it was following runs something like you've said. Remember to do those runs 3 times in a week before stepping up, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

:) xx

• Thanks pinkangel! :)

• I did my first post grad run today too and I'm 1k off target. I've planned to do the same as you increasing by 3 mins a week but this week I'm just doing 30 mins to my own music and enjoying going solo! Good luck. I'll be interesting if our plan works!

• I enjoyed going solo too. Let us know how you get on. :)

• You might want to put some shorter faster runs in there too, mixing things up a bit is good so you don't get stuck in a rut. I could bore for England about the C25K+ podcasts, I think they really make a difference.

• Thanks Curlygurly. On your recommendation I have just downloaded the C25K+ podcasts. :)

You may also like...