hello everyone... Its NEARLY a year since I first stepped out on W1 run 1 and I have been reflecting on my amazing journey...with Laura, Silky Steve, the amazing people here that have carried me and supported me on this journey, and me and my running...
SO.....I wanted to share a few things I have learnt... a big part of my role in my job is investigating where things went wrong and how we can learn from that ( route cause analysis stuff)...anyway I am sounding 'worky' now and my life here on this blog is so far away from all that!!! So in short I am sharing with you my juicy learning, that might resonate with you, and you probably know anyway.. ...but its all the things that got me here ( wherever 'here' is):
In no particular order!!!
1. Procrastination is tiring...park it and just do what feels right...run or not run today. simples.Think about things in a simple way ( I apply this to all areas of my life and it works)
2. Think of a run as a journey and take in everything around you, look around, smell, touch ( I love to brush my hands over wet rosemary or other herby plants in peoples' gardens and wipe them over my face and neck)
3. When it gets hard..zone in. Focus on something 2 metres ahead, reach it, then aim for the next, and the next, and the next..and you will go faster as you aren't focussing on your legs and you will be in a trance which is strangely comforting!!!
4. At the start of a really long run its so easy just to think of all the miles ahead stretching out...which leaves you in a heap before you've started! So I just see it as getting to the next bit ( a step on from point 3)...for example on my HM route I have my key points: downhill (yay), suspension bridge ( view...ahhhhh), big downhill (yay), flat bit (easy), join cycle path ( progress), gets hard here so point 3, no more houses ( nature), train track ( might see a train!!!!), hard again ( point 3), Spar ( treats), hard again, Brockley farm shop ( nearly home), Cleeve nursery ( ditto), church ( wave to the vicar!!!), Bombay spice...oh my life...Ive only f****** done it!!!!!! Get it???
5. Clothing...comfort is best, but you know being a woman of sorts, I like to feel sexy on a run which pushes me harder...so its a comfy thong, capri's, buff, vest or long top if chilly, lipstick and mascara ( yes I know I'm shallow...but if it helps me run who cares!!!). A buff is great as if my asthma is bad I can go ninja and it warms my lungs.
6. Fuel...I hardly drink on a run, and I have been experimenting with sweets...I'm not a big fan of sugar and bad stuff, and I find the energy stuff foul. I have posted the question on my Linkedin site, and people are saying things like 'peanut butter sarnies' ???? some runs I can't take water ( panther hunt) as I need my hands!!! I needs some help with this as I haven't sussed it yet...
7. Shoes....I first bought a cheap pair from sports direct as I didn't know I was going to stick at this!!! I then ended up in major probs one month after graduating I managed the 10k mark and I couldn't walk...trip to the special shop, gait analysis, new shoes then within 2 weeks I was fine. However lesson learnt, I pushed myself too hard too quickly.
8. Music...I love dancing and being a bit silly ( very silly ). Its so important to me on a run as I can lose myself in the beat. Current fave:
I am loving London Grammar. At times I just stretch my arms up and yell....because I am free...I'm running...I am me...
Sorry I went on a bit!!!