16 days since my last run, I have just done Week 5, Run 3. Am I mad?

It is entirely possible that I am, in fact, stark staring bonkers. My last run 16 days ago was the second of week 5 and I'm really not into repeating runs if I can help it (other than the fact that I am doing this whole programme again from the beginning again having gone back to the couch after a slipped disc, that is!) so I decided I would tackle the next run in the series, even though that was the 20 minutes without stopping one. In the back of my mind there were two conflicting thoughts:

First - you don't lose fitness nearly as quickly as you can gain it, and I've done this before so I know it's possible; and

Second - as I haven't run for 16 days and have just finished a course of antibiotics and have had zero energy for a while there would be no shame in failing at W5R3 at this point.

I'm pleased to say that the first thought won. I did it! W00t, w00t! I did tell Laura to shut up a couple of times during the run when she was telling me that I might struggle, but I did it. I even picked up the pace slightly at the end (knowing it was nearly the end) so that I used every last drop I had in the tank. And there were times when it wasn't too bad. I still don't like running, but I am really pleased that I ran today. With a bit of luck normal service can now be resumed and I can tackle Week 6 next week. It really is taking me ages to do this programme this time (and that without repeating any runs!).

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

oldestnewest

You may also like...