10k a year after graduating c25k

I have been doing 5 k on the treadmill for a year now. In the last month I gave up drinking and started to do 5k then walk for five minutes then do another 1-2k. My boss said to me on Tuesday "you could do 10k you know if you can do 5, because the challenge will be mental not physical" I dismissed it as madness. By yesterday the thought had taken hold so I got on the treadmill and just went for it. I did 10k for the first time in my life (at 46 years old and never ran until last year) I did it in 59:42. To say I am chuffed is an understatement!

7 Replies

• Well done you great time aswell!!!! Bet there are a few aches this morning tho??? keep at it!!! Half marathon next =D

• Stiff as a board but won't admit it to the wife!

• Well done BJR. So much of c25k is a mental challenge. Although that challenge always remains we do slowly learn that we can do anything we really put our minds to. Will 10k become a regular part of your running routine now?

• Maybe not 10k as routine but reckon I might try for 7.5k in 45 mins as my new thrice weekly goal. I have been doing 45 mins 3 x pw but that was 5k in 30 minutes followed by fast walking / slow jog intervals on a gradient. We shall see! Makes it interesting and whilst the motivation is high I will crack on. Still can't believe I did my first ever 10k in under one hour. I have astonished myself, and mentally I reckon there has been a bit of a step change overnight.

• I've been feeling a bit sorry for myself over the last few days, due to a nasty cold. I couldn't gather the enthusiasm or energy to go for a run in the rain last night. You have inspired me to dust down the treadmill now the nights are closing in. I did my longest ever run on the treadmill so maybe it's time to get on there again. I don't think I'll be anywhere near your timing though. I might manage 5K in the time it took you to do 10K. ;-) Best wishes with your running.

• That's fantastic, well done you... And as you start to do the longer runs you might find running outdoors is more enjoyable asit takes the boredom away?? Yes HM next then???

• Thanks all - HM bit too far for me - but I said that about 5k 18 months ago so who knows?

You may also like...