what to eat on long runs?

I am half way through my half marathon training and am having big problems with what my body will tolerate on the longer runs. I have read a lot of the web about when you need to start worrying about nutrition etc., so know I can probably get away with just water or High5 (which I can tolerate) for about 1.5 hours. But beyond that? (Can you tell I am a slow runner!)

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I tried a gel the other day at 1 hour into a 2 hour HM in training and I think it may have helped with the energy levels. You could try one and see how u get on.

• would you suggest a particular brand or just gels in general?

• Meant to ask you when in your half marathon and how long are your long runs currently?

• HM is in August and my long runs are between 12 to 18k normally. Just see how I feel and what time I have available

• *is*

• I took it at the half way point (1 hour 10k ish) only tried them once, my local cycle shop had SIS brand in stock so I tried that.

• Have you tried Jelly Babies? A lot of runners swear by them and they are cheap and readily available.

Nutritional Info:-

Sugar,

Glucose Syrup ,

Water ,

Gelatine (Bovine) ,

Concentrated Fruit Juices* (1%) (Apple, Lime, Orange, Strawberry, Blackcurrant, Lemon, Raspberry) ,

Acids (Citric, Acetic) ,

Natural (Lemon, Lime, Raspberry) Flavourings with other Natural Flavourings ,

Natural Orange Flavouring ,Natural Flavourings ,

Concentrated Vegetable Extracts (Black Carrot, Spinach, Stinging Nettle, Turmeric) ,

Colours (Vegetable Carbon, Paprika Extract, Lutein) ,

*Equivalent to 5.5% Fruit Juice

1/4 of a Big Bag (190G) gives:-

kcal 160 kcal

Protein1.7g

Carbohydrate 37.9g

• Well I didn't know jelly babies had black carrot and stinging nettle in them. Fascinating!

• Haha thats how I survived 2 weeks with my Grandson, I helped him eat his jelly babies (naughty grandma) ;) Didn't mean to imply he was naughty, he's very well behaved just full of energy :)

• I tried jelly beans, and the result after three of them wasn't pretty. Then I tried eating a peanut every km, washed down with plenty water. Not a good idea either. That's when I asked the question. Since then I made health bars from the no meat athlete's (http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-recipes-for-athletes/) recipes, took four 1inch squares with me, and it worked pretty well, stayed down and I did not get nauseous either; and that was last weekend running in gruelling heat. So I am a happy bunny. Just need to get my head into gear again as for some stupid reason I have a fear of the half marathon distance, even though I have cranked up longer runs to just over 14km. It is all in the head, after all

You may also like...