Bridge to 10K
7,240 members8,559 posts

Week 1 of the 10k plan - 5.5k

Decided to start with the longest one of the week as it’s a weekend, I’ve got no plans and I’ve got more time during the week to fit in 2.5k.

Headed to the gym, and it was hot - the air con was broken, and because of January it was full. However; managed to find my favourite treadmill in front of sky sports, did my warm up and went off at a steady 8.5km/h.

All was lovely for the first 3k, until I got a tiny stich so slowed right down for water and some deep breaths. Stich vanishes and I carry on to 5k.

It’s amazing how much harder 5.5k is than 5k when you’ve been running 5k max for a month!! However I carried on for the last .5 thanks to a bit of Faithless, and was just starting to get into my rhythm when I hit my goal!

Happy running all

X

18 Replies
oldestnewest

Well done, great start to your 10k journey 😊

1 like

Thanks 🌼

Great stuff Becky. I’m impressed that you managed 5.5k on the treadmill. I’ve only ever done 4k on it as it’s soooo hot!

You’re on a roll though, so good for you. 👏👏👏👏

Thanks Cheeky - it’s always a bit of a slog past 4K on the treadmill isn’t it, especially in the heat! But so much better for my asthma

1 like

Well done Becky...great start. 5.5k✔😊xx

Thanks! Glad to get the longer one out of the way for the week

1 like

Don't worry, by the end of January the gym goers will have mostly gone 😕

And well done for running through the heat 🏃🏃🏃

1 like

Haha so true IP - I avoid the gym in the first week usually because the number of people is ridiculous! Thanks

2 likes

Superb, one in the bag, good work 🕺🏽

Thanks ju-ju!

Nice run... well done dealing with the stitch, and the road to 10k just got a little shorter... enjoy the rest of the journey.

Thanks UNM - feel like I've been trying for 10k for ages now so I'm excited to see if I can do it!!

Of course you can do it... and nothing worthwhile ever came easy.

Well done. I also did the longest run each week at the start. It worked well, less time pressure at the weekend and you know you can do the other runs.

Thanks :D yeah getting the worst one out the way makes the rest of the week seem far better.

1 like

That's a good start though. Have you thought about running outdoors? I find I can cope with those extra metres by pacing myself to the next tree, lamp post, parked car etc etc.

Thanks!

I do run outside when I can - especially in summer - however I have really bad asthma which is aggravated in cold weather, so running outside in this weather really hurts my chest. I can't wait for it to start warming up again!

1 like

Great start to the plan Becky!

...And the beats of Faithless bringing that 5.5K home 🙌 🎧 🙌 Love it! ⚡️

You may also like...