Bridge to 10K
7,386 members β€’ 8,892 posts

Southsea Parkrun

The picture shows a victim of storm Callum, but today it is just glorious in Sunny Southsea 😎

The starting line for parkrun was shifted east slightly as the barriers are up for the Great South 5k, 10k, kiddies and doggies races today and the 10 miler on Sunday. We had lots of visitors today including a large contingent from Wales, RUNNewport. There is a great buzz about the place.

Having had almost 2 weeks out, it was great to be running it again. UpTheStanley is playing hockey in Kent later so he was a marshal guiding everyone to the new finishing funnel.

My iPhone jumped out of my fitbelt at one point, luckily saved by it’s case . I guess the belt is not as tight as it used to be! For the the very first time, I developed a stitch at 4.2k so walked for about 10m then got going again. Run completed in 33:32 on Garmin and 33:50 in parkrun results giving me a PB.

Next run is the 9k, without tripping up!

Have a great weekend everyone

37 Replies
oldest β€’ newest

It looks a lovely day in sunny Southsea Dexy5!🌞😎 I’ve been marshalling at Lloyd Parkrun this morning πŸ‘

I’m doing Croydon 10K tomorrow so didn’t want to run today just in case of injury 😊

1 like

Good idea David. We had no shortage of marshals today as lots are doing GSR tomorrow.

Enjoy your run tomorrow πŸƒβ€β™‚οΈπŸ‘

1 like

Wow Dexy5 it looks pretty glorious where you are,

1 like

Yes it was warmer than I expected when I got down there 😎🌞

Wow! Great PB too! Weather looks great!

1 like

I guess my next target is sub 33 for parkrun, but to get that 9k in next week (unscathed) will also be nice. πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸπŸ‚

Well, the Isle of Wight was slacking in protecting that boat... I say give it a written warning, it has one job!

Congratulations on the PB, and the survival of the phone.

1 like

Yes UNM , we were trying to work out whether it came from the IOW or gosport. I thought it was quite handy landing next to the life saver!

1 like

Beautiful day for your parkrun this morning Dexy5 and congratulations on that time of 33.50 giving you a PB.

1 like

It’s a great day Al, I need to get my bulbs in the garden now while it lasts. πŸŒžπŸπŸ‚

I just noticed that a veteran man who is in the 90-95 age category ran a sub 39 minutes 5K at this mornings Keswick Park run, wow.

2 likes

Well Done him for even getting out the door. I hope I’m still doing Parkrun in 30 years time !

Oh wow that looks amazing. Was thick fog in Wiltshire this morning! πŸ˜€

Yes a bit warmer for running than I thought it would be. But it will be cooler for the great south run tomorrow.

1 like

Well done on a new PB, Eileen, and great to hear you’re back out running again! Remember no sprinting on that 9k, unless it’s a nice smooth surface! Will be looking out for your 10k graduation day very soon...πŸ˜ƒπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ’₯❀️

1 like

No I’m going to be slow and careful this time mountaindreamer. I’ll be thinking of snails and tortoises and looking at the ground. πŸ˜‚πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ’πŸŒ and I don’t expect UTS will be saying β€œonly 250m - go for it” this time 🀣

1 like

Wow, great PB Dexy well done!! Good luck for your 9k next week, you'll nail it and then we will celebrate with you at the podium very soon after that with 10k :) :)

1 like

Thanks Lorijay. I’d better start working out where to run. I’m tempted to go back to find out what tripped me up. πŸ€Έβ€β™‚οΈ

I’m so delighted that you are back running. And that you are zipping through your park runs. Take your 9km nice and easy and you can always do an 8km, an 8.5 and then a 9km. My snail like approach πŸ˜‰

Thanks Paulanoo, yes I’m certainly going to do my long run slowly. I’ll give it a few days first to get over the parkrun. I’ll judge it on how it feels on the day. No doubt my running partner will keep me on the straight and narrow.

Hi Dexy, Nearly two weeks out and a PB!!! What secret formula did you work to to improve while resting!! I am sure that I went back 3 months as a result of my 24 day gap. Congratulations to you! Well done! πŸ‘πŸ»πŸŽ‰ πŸ‘πŸ»πŸŽ‰β­οΈπŸ˜Š

Thanks 61, I probably needed the rest at that point! The PB was only 6 seconds less than 29 September but I think it was more down to the perfect conditions. It is unusual not to have a westerly breeze facing us on the homeward stretch. UTS did say that I looked as though I had given it my all.

They do say that 14 days is the limit without losing your fitness so I’m glad I wasn’t out longer.

I hope you’ll get back to parkrun soon (in your new capris).

A PB is a PB and I think that it was brilliant! I realise conditions play a part, but lovely that your enforced rest seemed to have even helped your running. I was too hot in the capris this afternoon when I ran.! I now also have some nike cast off shorts of my daughter's. So I have options!

1 like

Does your daughter run 61?

No! She used to do lots of gymnastics. I'm not actually sure what she wore the shorts for, I shall have to ask her.

Good run Dexy5. South sea looks so much nicer than Dorney Lake where I ran this morning.

1 like

Wow I’ve just read your post on the next forum. You’ve done brilliantly. It sounds like you’ve been well supported by friends and family. No wonder you got bored doing a half marathon around Dorney Lake, but nice cakes to look forward to. Congratulations. I can’t post on your forum unless I join it . Not ready for that yet.

πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ…πŸ†πŸ°πŸŽ‰

1 like

Better for rowing than running Razouski? When I was last there I was cheering everyone on at the Olympics. Did you run along the lake?

1 like

Yes, we ran along the lake. My sister said, last time she was there she was in a kayak on emergency duty at the Olympics. :-)

Great time. Congratulations and hope your 9k goes well too.

1 like

Thanks Sybilw, 🐌 does it

1 like

Well done on yourPB the picture is great what a beautiful day πŸ˜€

1 like

Thanks Runsome. Same again for the Great South run today.

Well done to you Dexy5, beautiful photo xx

I wouldn’t try going to sea in it. 🀣

Well done! Back on it and speeding along even with a little walk! Good luck for your 9k ... you will smash it this time! πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

Thanks Bridget, yes I was probably speeding a bit too much in the first k, but I was so glad to be back running parkrun. I should point out that it was a 10 metre walk not 10 minutes.

I might even add 7 metres on to my next run to make up the shortfall on my last 9k.

1 like

You may also like...