B1R2 - first sub-40 minute 5k: Well. Blimey... - Bridge to 10K

Bridge to 10K
11,556 members โ€ข 15,036 posts

B1R2 - first sub-40 minute 5k

Jay66UK
Jay66UKGraduate10
โ€ข34 Replies

Well. Blimey. What happened there?

Depending who you believe (Strava, 38:59 or Garmin Connect, 39:07, both fed off the same device!) I just ran a sub-40 minute 5k.

My fastest before was 41:29 so Iโ€™ve taken roughly 2.5 minutes off. ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿ…(edited: my maths was wrong earlier!)

This was one of those runs where everything seemed to come together.

I spent yesterday eating sensibly (apart from the Haribo, @Sutsha!) and hydrating well. I had a lovely evening chatting with some friends and felt very much at peace with the world. I then slept well (evidenced by the Garmin sleep tracker).

I went out there and felt I โ€œattackedโ€ the run, rather than let running attack me!

I was getting 500m distance alerts so I would know where to turn and that prompted me to look at my watch slightly more than usual. I could see early on that my pace was high. Rather than my usual response - slow down, conserve energy - I knew I had it in me to get there and back, even if I would be crawling the last part.

The final K and my mental maths wasnโ€™t great (my pulse trace shows why - way high!) and so I pushed, determined to come in just under 40 mins.

I put it down to several things. Yesterday being a good preparation day. Being in a great frame of mind thanks to support of good friends. Feeling special about having a proper runnerโ€™s watch. Jancanrunโ€™s Ska playlist and the way it takes me right back to my youth. The weather being okay. Weight-loss and (whisper it) getting fitter.

Immense high on seeing the time then straight into that most mellow of mellow feelings Iโ€™ve only known after a less vertical activity. I know I have felt happier but I canโ€™t remember when.

Sirens Hill taken to Uptown Top Ranking by Althea and Donna. So appropriate. โ€œSee me in ma pants and ting!โ€ However I struggled up there today due to my pace and it annoys me so much that I am considering renaming it the Naughty Steppe.

Looking forward to the 5.5k on Saturday morning.

Whatever run you have next, enjoy it x

34 Replies
oldest โ€ข newest
pianoteacher
pianoteacherGraduate10

Absolutely brilliant Jay!! 30 secs per km off your previous best is no mean feat - there's no stopping you now :-)

LoungeLizaard
LoungeLizaardGraduate10

Go Jay! Go Jay! Go Jay!

Well done mate, sub 30 next!! lol

Congratulations!

Jay66UK
Jay66UKGraduate10

Somehow editing the gain has made two copies of the post. Sorry.

UpTheStanley
UpTheStanleyGraduate10
in reply to Jay66UK

I thought it was the effort of a great run was making you see double :-)

Dizzysmum17
Dizzysmum17Graduate10

Amazing Jay - well done! That's a fantastic achievement...you'll be getting sub 30 minutes soon... :)

Dbbd
DbbdGraduate10

Well done Jay!! Thatโ€™s wat Iโ€™m aiming for - think itโ€™s because I havenโ€™t lost any weight itโ€™s alluding me. Ur an inspiration for me - enjoy that high ur on its well deserved!!

Well done Jay what a great run. Im still hobbling so havenโ€™t run since sat at least I can weight bear now !!!

Jay66UK
Jay66UKGraduate10
in reply to amanda2463

๐Ÿ˜” Sorry to hear that, Amanda. Recover well x

mountaindreamer
mountaindreamerGraduate10

Great going, Jay! Sounds like a great run! ๐Ÿ˜ƒโค๏ธ

The Naughty Steppe - love it!๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Iโ€™m coming over to join you in big school this Saturday, when my Parkrun will become Jujuโ€™s week 1 / 5k. Just sharpening my pencils and polishing an apple up right now...๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘

Jay66UK
Jay66UKGraduate10
in reply to mountaindreamer

Excellent. Thereโ€™s a nice desk by the window for you!

mountaindreamer
mountaindreamerGraduate10
in reply to Jay66UK

Uh oh...put me by the window and Iโ€™ll get in trouble with Juju for daydreaming...๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜Šโค๏ธ

Well done Jay youโ€™ve only gone and done it. Loving your attitude ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Jay66UK
Jay66UKGraduate10
in reply to Jelon

Thanks - itโ€™s the only one Iโ€™ve got!

Awesome! well done!

Wow, thatโ€™s great well done! โญ๏ธ

Well done Jay! That is awesome ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ Dont ya just love it when it all comes together. Seriously well done matey ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽ‰

HoagyM
HoagyMGraduate10

Great stuff Jay, I can see that PB come crashing right down as you get into this, and you conquer your fear of the Naughty Steppe ;)

And yeah, I managed to make two copies of a post due to editing a while back (it was my C25k graduation run), don't know how that happens.

Jay66UK
Jay66UKGraduate10
in reply to HoagyM

Cheers. Double posts - I think we must be special ๐Ÿคฃ

Well done Jay!!!

Sadie-runs
Sadie-runsGraduate10

Whoop! Well done, Jay! What an achievement. It is so lovely when we start to see progress, hey? You are doing so so well, there will be no stopping you. x

Well done sunshine! Keep on trucking. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Great time Jay! I am way off that at the moment. I am going to try your preparation technique - it sounds lovely in itself ๐Ÿ˜Š

Jay66UK
Jay66UKGraduate10
in reply to Ang62

I recommend it. Needs good friends to work properly.

Well done!!!!!!! ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰ you're winning!

sallenson
sallensonGraduate10

Well done!! That 10K is beckoning....

Jay66UK
Jay66UKGraduate10
in reply to sallenson

Yeah. But itโ€™s using two fingers!

sallenson
sallensonGraduate10
in reply to Jay66UK

Sorry. I was trying to be encouraging....

Jay66UK
Jay66UKGraduate10
in reply to sallenson

It was. Very ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

Well done! And take the Garmin time. Strava rounds it up or down, even though itโ€™s getting the info from Connect.

Jay66UK
Jay66UKGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Thanks, Flick - useful to know.

Well done! All the stars aligned for you today. It must be the fancy new watch. I do find preparation the day before contributes to performance massively.

Sirens hill is always going to be difficult as itโ€™s steep, but as you get fitter you are beginning to get the better of it and will tame it ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

BrianUK
BrianUKGraduate10

Top man!! Well done! I blame the Garmin ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Wow check you out, Jay! That's fantastic.

Bridget007
Bridget007Graduate10

Well done thatโ€™s brilliant! ๐Ÿ˜€

You may also like...