Blood test negative, help: I have just found out... - Behçet's UK

Behçet's UK
4,469 members3,817 posts

Blood test negative, help

I have just found out that hlb51 (think got that blood test name wrong- think u know one I mean) is negative but have many Behçet symptoms. Does this mean I definitely don’t have or is this common?

15 Replies
oldestnewest

The pattern changes across the world. Recent studies shown about 15% of UK patients with confirmed Behcet’s disease were HLA B51 positive. Much higher in those of Turkish descent.

1 like

Thank you

This is so interesting thank you for sharing

Not all behcet patients have these marker so don’t worry about it

Thank you

I had this and was negative but diagnosed with BD xx

Thank you x

Skin pathergy test is still only definitive test. Goes by symptoms. Especially with eye involvement. That's why tough for diagnosis & proper treatment. Especially if your physicians are not educated in BD

1 like

Thank you x

1 like

I was with consultant in clinical genetics last week and he would not even test me for this said only 5% of UK population with Behcet's tested positive and only 25% worldwide and the test neither clinically proved you had or did not have Behcet's. I thought it was a routine test I would have had but no not with my hospital...

Thank you that’s good to know, I appreciate it x

i also tested negative. I was diagnosed off telling a doctor my symptoms, as I did not have any when I saw my Rheumatologist finally. I also was very high for CRP and seg rate during my flares. I am 30 F italian/Lithuanian descent.

1 like

Hi, tested negative for this but received diagnosis of BD. It’s worth googling the diagnostic criteria but you don’t have to have this genetic marker. Hope that helps.

1 like

Thank you all for your responses. I feel I have a place to go to share my journey, which I think has only just begun!! I cannot even tell you how grateful I am. ❤️

I had the same problem so my rheumatologist is convinced that I don't have behcets meanwhile my dermatologist who specializes in Behcets is beyond positive that I do.... I don't know what to do about any of my randomly odd test results either.

You may also like...