Panic Disorder and medication

I've just realised I suffer from panic disorder and have started CBT just before Christmas, which I think will help and has a bit already. My therapist is unfortunately away until end of next week. I think taking medication for a short time to calm things down as well as CBT would help, but the thought does scare me somewhat as I tend to react strongly to medication. Has anyone taken medication for a similar thing for a short time as well as therapy and what did they take?

Skip

Featured Content

Anxiety affects us all

Come and join our community. Get advice and support on thousands of topics around anxiety.

Take a look!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi miki

I have suffered for years & am petrified of meds , but if you look round the site we are not alone on that one !

I do no you can take meds for a short time & they help loads of people , there are all different ones , your GP would be the best as she knows your medical history to see over this , if you feel this would help , I would pay a visit & ask , you can explain your fear as i no they hear this alot & they might be able to put your mind at ease

Again different things work for different people , have a good look round on here & you will see what others have took or different ways of dealing with anxiety

People will give you some good advice on here along with support

I have a cold with a bannging head this morning so sorry I have not said anything to helpful , but just wanted to say hello & you are not alone

whywhy

• Yes, I was on e-citalopom and CBT......

Problem is with NHS is filling the gap between appointments, so it is a good idea to ask your therapist for advice on reading material.....

I have seen a few good suggestions on here.....dr claire weeks/ eckhart tolle etc, but feel books are brilliant but a personal choice depending on what "rings your bell....lol..

Don,t worry about Meds, they don,t have to be forever and most modern antidepressants are non addictive.....

You may also like...