What is the best self help for a full time working mum who has very little spare time, suffering anxiety, little ocd & possibly bi polar?

I don't have a lot of money, so can't afford to see a pyschologist. My GP refered me to local mental health clinic, however all the classes are during working hours or can't get child care. I've tried a little online self help (cognitive therapy) which helped for about a couple of weeks, but I really need some long term, on going therapy. Where is best to look/get self help?

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Maybe you could access the help available through this website. I know you can have telephone counselling etc, you need to go to the front page and I think it's under 'get help'. There is a map also and you can put your post code in to find a therapist near you, there is information on prices etc. I believe the rate is cheaper than finding a therapist elsewhere.

Hopefully you will be able to get some useful information.

I haven't used this so not so well informed on it but I'm sure other members have and may be able to give you more help with this.

Nest Wishes PL

• Thank you. I will certainly look into this. S x

• Some areas have counselling on offer for those on a low income. They are either charities or organisations that receive some kind of subsidy. They often do a sliding scale of charges according to what you can afford.

• Thanks, the only problem I find with the local charities is their opening/closing

times. I'm very typical Mon-Fri 9am-5pm, then looking after kids until bed o'clock, so my only free time is weekends. Have you heard of any organisations that are open for help on weekends? S x

• The best help you will get which I think will really help you is to read the book "Beyond Prozac" written by Doctor Terry Lynch. He is a GP and qualified psychotherapist and is also trying to make changes in the mental health system. It may change your life and look at everything in a new light. This is an amazing book and you will be enthralled!. Buy it for yourself for christmas and start feeling better.

• Thanks. I will definitely try this, I love reading.

You may also like...