Anxiety Support
35,127 members38,868 posts

Advice anyone?

So I'm seeing a different doctor he wants me to stop just my mirtizapine n start taking sertraline I'm so scared to jusy to stop taking my medcation and start a new one will anything happen? Has anyone been in this situation? Anyone on sertraline are they good? He tried giving me sleeping tablets n diazapem but I said no 😔 don't want to be hooked on them

3 Replies

Hi . I switched from citalopran to Sertraline. I was fine and found the Sertraline very good . My therapist said it was very normal to feel depressed after recovery from panic attacks so that's why I was prescribed Sertraline. As with all medication our bodies usually react in some way as we adjust . Bit like alcohol really. Having a drink causes light headedness ,slurred speech, .headache sickness etc. I stayed on Sertraline for ten month and felt great. My therapist said that I would only need them for that long but my Gp said they can be taken longer. Do try them and remember any sensation or changes your body feels are normal. Good luck

1 like

I tried switching from Mirtazapine to Sertraline a few years ago. It didn't work for me, though to be honest I didn't have many side effects so you don't need to worry too much. The main side effect is less sleep as Mirtazapine assists sleep for most people. In the end I was fortunate enough to be able to stop anti-depressants altogether. Remember you don't have to do anything you don't want to do. Unfortunately with anti-depressant its a case of finding the one that's best suited for you if you feel you really need them. Has your GP referred you to any other form of therapy?


What therapy option has your GP suggested, If any? The GP should be able to advise on drugs and their effects and also other options. If you don't feel you can have that discussion I suggest you see (another) different GP.

You may need to push your GP to get you access to a talking therapy. They should offer therapy and not just drugs (guidance from NICE says so). Ask about the local psychological therapies team in your area (assuming you are in England or Wales). Mention I.A.P.T if you get a blank look. It stands for Improving Access to Psychological Therapies and the UK government is continuing to spend literally £billions on it. These are primary care services for people with mild to moderate anxiety or depression (not hospitals).

Your GP should know about options in your area, as well as details about drug options.


You may also like...