Getting Help: since my diagnosis in... - Anxiety and Depre...

Anxiety and Depression Support

57,410 members57,581 posts

Getting Help


since my diagnosis in August I have been told I need to go to therapy for my anxiety and I want to but since I’m underage I need parental approval. My mom has not been willing to make me an appointment that I desperately need. I feel everyday that my anxiety gets worse. Does any have any tips on how to communicate getting help to a parent or how I can do it myself without them knowing?

11 Replies

Does your school have therapy or counseling support? Most schools at least have a guidance counselor. Ask them what you should do.

gadocd in reply to b1b1b1

My guidance counselors don’t really help with that kind of stuff, I have an administrator who lets me use his office when I have an attack to calm down. My school has a therapist but you need your parent to give permission once again...

Can you make an appointment with your regular doctor on your own? If you can, go there and tell your doctor your situation. There has got to be a way for you to get help despite your parents' refusal. Maybe your doctor could call them and tell them how important it is that you receive treatment.

gadocd in reply to jkl5500

My doctor said my parents need to make the call and but that I have friends who have done it without parental consent but I’m not sure how they’ve managed to do that since every place I’ve called has turned me away since I don’t have a parent making the appointment

jkl5500 in reply to gadocd

Did your doctor agree that you need treatment? If yes, tell your mother this. If your mother is determined not to let you get treatment, some adult has to talk to her to tell her how important this is.

gadocd in reply to jkl5500

I am thinking of having my mom come to my next appointment (in a couple of weeks) with me and get the doctor to talk to her and maybe have her make the appointment there so she can’t lie and say later and then not make it but I don’t wanna ambush her either...

Is there a family member or close friend you can talk to that might be able to let your parents know how important this is to you. Is there a teacher or someone at your school that you might be able to talk to. Maybe at your church or place of worship that might also offer help.

gadocd in reply to mdesignme

I have a few people that I can talk to but it’s frustrating sometimes because they can’t really help me all they can do is listen. I want to get help so that if an attack happens I’ll be able to manage on my own.

I am so sorry you're having such a difficult time talking to your mom about this. I want to commend you for recognizing that you need and want help and are doing your best to seek it out. That shows such maturity at your age...something that will inevitably help you as well. Have you researched anything online about ways you can manage your anxiety without meds? For example, breathing exercises, healthy diet, exercise, etc. I'm sure there is plenty of valuable information out there...even some geared toward your age group. While you wait out the whole parent/doctor issue, I would encourage you to do this research and see if you find anything helpful out there that you can begin utilizing. I pray your mom will truly listen to you and get you the help you need. Stay encouraged!!!

gadocd in reply to PieceByPeace

Thank you so much, and I have downloaded a couple of apps that are supposed to help you when you have anxiety attacks, they help control your breathing etc.. I have to continue digging for more but yes I have something so far.

PieceByPeace in reply to gadocd

That's great!!! At least it's a start while you wait for the doctor issue to be resolved. Hugs to you!!!

You may also like...