Conflicts between HIV and PCa meds - Advanced Prostate...

Advanced Prostate Cancer
10,510 members12,547 posts

Conflicts between HIV and PCa meds

Moxiecat
Moxiecat

Hi all

I have been on antiretrovirals / protease inhibitors (ritonavir. saquinavir, norvir) for many years with excellent results.

Recently I was diagnosed with aggressive PCa and have been on Zoladex for 4 months. My doctor is considering augmenting that with bicalutamide to reduce PSA levels as I await radiation therapy (TE is already <0.1 but PSA appears to be not fully responsive).

The problem is that norvir (at least) slows metabolism of Bicalutamide (and possibly other PCa drugs), thereby slowing their elimination from the body and increasing concentrations and potential side effects.

I wonder if any of you have encountered this situation, and what potential work-arounds were applied.

Thanks to all.

3 Replies
oldestnewest

Just make sure you let your Dr's know this....then you may have to adjust your drugs on your own, as sometimes Dr's seem to have hollow heads about necessary changes. I have had to take myself completely off some drugs and adjust others to the tune of ' I didn't know they could do that' or 'are you sure that's what the problem is?'

j-o-h-n
j-o-h-n
in reply to Shooter1

Hollow Heads....🍥👍🏻

Good Luck, Good Health and Good Humor.

j-o-h-n Monday 01/07/2019 5:12 PM EST (My name day).

Really complex issue. If your HIV is in control I would concentrate on Pca. If there is the slightest chance that HIV goes to AIDS---this is really a tough call.

An old Natural that was very effective against HIV, in the late 1990's, early 2,000's and was the Keynote Product at the World AIDS Conference in 1998 and 2,000 is BIRM--now being studied for Pca at the U. of Miami Medical School, with Federal Money approved by the NIH, and funded with our tax dollars thru the Dept. of Defense.

I am not suggesting anything. Just reporting.

Nalakrats

You may also like...