Advanced Prostate Cancer
7,990 members8,364 posts

Zytiga followed by Docetaxel followed by Zytiga again?

I have read at least 3 times (I think) on this website that some claim that Docetaxel has been known to help with a successful re challenge with Zytiga. But I haven't been able to find anything in the literature that provides any information about this at all. Can anyone provide a reference for me on this topic? Zytiga worked 2 years for me very successfully, lowering my PSA considerably until it finally stopped working. I also had minimal side effects (in fact, none of which I was aware) with Zytiga. Since then I have had 6 doses of Docetaxel -- one every 3 weeks -- my last treatment was this last week. My PSA stayed about the same on Docetaxel. I certainly would be interested in trying Zytiga again (and talking to my oncologist about it) if there is evidence that Zytiga might be effective again after Docetaxel chemo treatment.

6 Replies
oldestnewest

I would characterize it as more a hint than evidence. It was only a small pilot study at JH, but in a few men (6 of 14), the AR-V7 splice variant reverted from positive to negative after taxane therapy. It certainly seems worth a try.

academic.oup.com/annonc/art...

1 like

Thank you so much, Tall_Allen.

Docetaxel has a lot of side effects. And they feed it into you through a port they install in your shoulder.

Good Sunday Morning EdMiller,

I have been in this battle for almost six years (please see bio for complete treatment history).

I had a 12 month run with Xtandi from 2015-16 after a prior 18 month run with Zytiga. Both of them failed.

Had 6 cycles of Docetaxel/Carboplatin chemo ending 1/9/18 (had a good response to chemo--PSA dropped from 10.8 to .4) and we decided to try Xtandi for a second time, as PSA was rising. Miracle of miracles, it has worked for the past 2 months! Do not know how long this may last, but praying for an extended chemo break.

Best wishes. Never Give In.

Mark, Atlanta

4 likes

That’s fantastic!

Vandy69, thanks for your reply. Very interesting.

You may also like...