Can't feel Mirena strings...: Hi all This... - Women's Health

Women's Health

29,807 members3,330 posts

Can't feel Mirena strings...

distractonaught profile image

Hi all

This sounds ridiculous but I am not sure I have ever been able to feel the strings on my Mirena IUS. I've had it just over two months and have thought I could feel them on occasion, but never been certain.

I'm pretty sure it is in there...it was put in under GA but the doctors assured me it had been done and I have had various expected side effects from it and only intermittent bleeding rather than normal periods.

But I am starting to worry that I can't feel the strings at all. How easy or difficult should this be to do? The trouble for me is that (without wishing to be too graphic), everything up there feels a bit 'stringy' and I don't understand how you're supposed to distinguish.

I'm also a bit phobic about anything cervix-related so I'm probably not overly confident at putting my fingers up there tbh and never quite know how far up to go.

Am seeing my gynaecologist in a couple of weeks but would appreciate any tips in the meantime!

thanks all

6 Replies

I have had 2.. could never inspect self properly...get them to check ...at appt , had to have it trimmed ...lol ! Any help ? 🤪

Well it's good to know I'm not the only one. I just can't quite understand how you would be able to feel them unless they hang down quite a lot, which mine clearly don't.

I'm getting a bit paranoid about the birth control aspect now as it has stopped my periods, but seeing the gyno soon so fingers crossed.

It's unusual to stop period so fast , took 2 years for me ....😶

Noooooooooooo!

Seriously though I don't think I'm likely to be pregnant. I'm in my early 40s but know it's still possible. And my periods were all over the place already. Bit paranoid now tho.

Hi, I've never been able to find my strings either but my GP said that I wouldn't as my cervix is quite high. I did get it checked and all was fine.

Good to know! Have you ever had one removed? Does this make it difficult? Thanks

You may also like...