Thyroid UK
100,657 members114,225 posts

Fibromyalgia and interactive thyroid

Hi I'm 54 and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 8 years ago and was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid four years ago when I turned 50. I take 50mg of levothyroxine but I feel exhausted all the time im apparently post menopausal i had blood tests for this. i had my checked last month and my gp said it was ok. Just wondering if there's any advice anyone can give, i was tested for b12 it was ok also thankyou

10 Replies
oldestnewest

50 mcg is a very small dose so you probably need an increase, if you have your results post them on here so people can advise.

1 like

Hi thank you in back at my doctors on Thursday in going to ask for a copy of my results i will then post them in here

1 like

I presume you mean underactive.

Firstly I would get off levo as its generic and fluctuates in quality. I had trouble with this med too. Only take brand name thyroxine. Secondly, read it up, but Fibro and hypo thyroid go together.

Mollie I really don't think this is true. There are tight controls on the quality.

4 likes

Hi sorry underactive thyroid

There are no generic levothyroxine tablets in the UK - from four well-known manufacturers, although some people have problems with Teva.

2 likes

I was left on 50mcg thyroxine for four years after my diagnosis and it made me very ill. You sound like you need an increase.

Karen

I think you may be right

It’s unfortunate but you have to fight (with dignity 😀) for any increase but be persistent. Two of my friends are in the same boat being left on low doses and being told tat it’s the menopause. One has a tsh of 9 and the other 6.4. They are just putting up with it as they are brainwashed by their GP.

Thank you i am going to have a good talk to my gp

You may also like...