Thyroid UK
95,369 members109,363 posts

Hyperthyroid

I have an overactive thyroid and I'm not on any medication at the moment. I recently did a cholesterol and thyroid test. I'm currently 26 and also anemic.

Cholesterol 8.0 H. (3.8-5.2)

HDL 2.4 H. (0.6-1.9)

Tri 0.9. (0.4-1.8)

Chol/hdl ratio 3.33 (0-4.44)

LDL 5.2 H (1.5-3.6)

T3 free 4.3 (2.15-6.79)

T4 free 14.32 (9.30-22.37)

TSH 0.03L. (0.30-5.00)

I keep hearing how weird my results are. I'm not overweight, nor underweight. I do have an increased heart rate and sweat a lot. Can someone explain these results to me and is anyone going through the same thing?

24 Replies
oldestnewest

You have not given the normal ranges with the results so it is hard to comment. You can edit the post to add them.

Why do you say that you are hyperthyroidism?

I have updated the information with the normal ranges. I was diagnosed 7 years ago with hyperthyroidism caused by graves disease. I was prescribed with radioactive iodine, propranolol and neomercazole. I stopped taking the iodine on my own, since the doctor didn't tell me anything about it and only said I should take it. I was euthyroid for 5 years, then last year I was told that my thyroid was overactive again.

Ah, often TSH never rises again after Graves (if you ever had Graves - did you have positive TRab or TSI antibodies?). Radioactive iodine isn't something you take yourself it is administered in a hospital setting to destroy the thyroid, and after that you should be prescribed levothyroxine. Are you sure that is what you had? At any rate, you are now slightly hypo. You can sweat and have palpitations when underactive as the body increases adrenaline to keep you going

No, I never did those tests. In fact the first time I did an executive summary ( which showed I was anemic and had high cholesterol, was in 2016 when I saw another doctor). Yes, the doctor gave me RAI without fully explaining what it was meant for. Even though I told her I didn't want to remove my thyroid or go hypo. I didn't like how she didn't explain the side effects and stopped taking it after a week, when I started to do my own research. I did an ultrasound on my thyroid as well, it wasn't destroyed at all and showed it was overactive.

That doesn't sound like radioactive iodine - it's a one-off drink or capsule and you have to go to the Nuclear Medicine Department to get it, so you couldn't stop taking it after a week - it's usually one single dose and you have to avoid children and animals for about 3 weeks afterwards. High cholesterol is also a symptom of underactive thyroid.

She didn't even tell me to avoid anyone. But that's what she said it was and I was supposed to take it for 2 weeks if memory serves me right. I remember the liquid being black and it was bitter. I had to take a drop or 2 mixed with water or juice.

That's Lugol's iodine - quite different

Thank you so much for telling me that. I should've had you as my doctor. I kept wondering why she said it was RAI and didn't fully explain anything to me. Like avoiding people, that's the main reason I stopped taking it, because my younger brother is autistic and would hate for him to be affected by anything I'm taking.

The jury is out as to whether iodine is good for thyroid problems or not. It is an old-fashioned treatment for overactive thyroid, but I'm not sure that is what you have.

I do not think you have an Overactive thyroid at all

Much more likely you have Central /pituarity Hypothyroid

High cholesterol , low TSH and low T4

Have they bothered to do thyroid antibodies they are vital to work this out

2 likes

I updated the information with the normal ranges and t4 is actually normal.

You still vitally need your Thyroid Antibodies as you may well have both Hashimotos and Graves Antibodies just as my husband did

What you also do not realise is after Graves the body cannot cope on " normal " it need t4 and t3 to be right at the top of the ranges because the body has been so highly sensitised ...few endos will face that issue

RAI has many long term effects on the body which medics dont want to admit to and generally we advise people to avoid it

Your high cholesterol screams Hypothyroid and often the symptoms of hypothyroid are same as hyper ...weight gain or loss is irrelevant

Cannit understand why you have been taking Iodine

Or why after RAI you were still taking anti thyroid drugs

You clearly need to see one of the very few really excellent endos ...where in the country are you

1 like

This is the result of the test I did in 2016, before I was diagnosed again with an overactive thyroid.

FT3 5.72 (2.15-6.79)

FT4 18.8 (10.30-25.74)

TSH 0.22 (0.30-5.00)

I don't have the results of the test I did last year, as I only had one copy at the time that I gave to the doctor.

I only took iodine when I was first diagnosed in 2011, for about a week. I stopped immediately when I did my own research. I forgot to add that I only went euthyroid after stopping all medications and just resting for a year. I did the same thing when I got diagnosed again last year, as I was going through a difficult time and the medications were making me extremely depressed.

I think you simply have Hashimotos and they have given you treatment for Graves without even checking your antibodies ...if thats the case they are woefully negligent

Far far too often the hyper phases of Hashimotos are wrongly diagnosed

What other illness is there in the wider family back 2 generations

My father has issues with high cholesterol and it seems to run in his part of the family. Which could explain why I have it. But if I have Hashimotos or hypo and it was left untreated, wouldn't it have affected my body's systems and functions?

Are you and your father Redheads ? Because other than Hypothyroid or having Red Hair theres no other reason for high cholesterol

When I discussed my results with another doctor, they kept saying I was weird. Since I was showing both hyper and hypo symptoms, but my body was functioning normal even though I wasn't taking any medication.

No point doctors saying you are weird ...thats nonsense

Theres reasons why all of this is happening

Not overactive then either. Overactive is when Free T3 and free T4 are over range and yours were not.

Those were the results when I first found out I had high cholesterol in late 2016. They said I had subclinical hyperthyroidism. The test I did last year April, showed FT3 and Ft4 was over range with TSH being low. I also did a thyroid ultrasound that showed it was over producing and I had GED.

I'll see if I can request to have my thyroid antibodies checked.

But very low normal - most people would have it > 18

Nothing overactive there. Underactive if anything. Low TSH is unusual but might indicate either end of a Hashi flare, or central hypothyroidism, or taking a B vitamin supplement containing biotin in the days before the test.

1 like

Wasn't taking any medication at all.

You may also like...