All good wishes for the New Year!
In a recent post:
I mentioned my confusion over information being given by my naturopath regarding FT4/FT3 levels and supplementation with ThyroGold. [I have never been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, but with ME since 1989.]
I have since received a letter from him, stating:
'I believe I may have confused you over comparisons of ThyroGold and Nutri Thyroid. The thyroid (bovine) contents are as follows: ThyroGold - 150mgs; Nutri Thyroid - 140mgs. You can take the remaining ThyroGold you still have [NB I didn't even start them] and return to the Nutri Thyroid.'
This raises further issues:
1. If he thinks my FT4 levels are fine (i.e. 14.9 pmol/L [11.5-19.6]) then why is he advocating thyroid support at all?
2. He originally stated to me that ThyroGold was stronger in its glandular content than Nutri Thyroid, then later reversed this statement, only to return to his original assessment in his letter. This doesn't fill me with confidence.
3. He is still ignoring the fact that ThyroGold contains active T4 and T3 (or is unaware?).
4. In the responses to my original post on the forum I was advised to try the ThyroGold as my FT3 levels are on the floor (3.86 pmol/L [3.74-6.11]). NB the naturopath is dismissing this result as he says FT3 is a meaningless test.
1. If I was to take ThyroGold as advocated by forum members due to the low FT3, how much should I be taking?
2. If FT4 levels are fine, then why are the FT3 levels so low? Could this be due to a conversion problem?
3. I've just discovered from DNA testing that I am, quote, 'likely to have a reduced ability to transport vitamin B12 into my blood cells'. This is despite high levels of B12 current in the blood (914 ng/L [191 - 663ng/L] before supplementation, 1323 ng/L after).
Could this have any bearing on the thyroid results? There is no indication as to why there is a problem getting B12 into the cells (the same DNA results have shown I'm unlikely to have coeliac disease).
Very grateful for this forum and for all the advice I've been given since joining. I welcome further comments/support. Thank you.