Thyroid UK
82,985 members98,017 posts

Ran out of supplements 4 months ago – told to wait a month. Advice please

Please could someone advise me on what I do about this. I was iron deficient and folate deficient and B12 deficient and vit D deficient when results were last done in June 2017 and I have been told by my GP to wait until I can be fitted in for an appointment and blood tests which will be a month from now. Thankyou

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Do you have the results with ranges for the above tests ?

Ferritin 22 (30 - 400)

Folate 2.0 (2.5 - 19.5)

Vitamin B12 96 (190 - 900)

Vitamin D total 19.3 (<25 severe)

1 like

So have you had any treatment ?

Was taking 800iu D3 since 2012 and 3x ferrous fumarate since 2012 and folic acid since 2016. B12 injection given July 2017 told to wait 3 months for another one thankyou

Do you have Pernicous Anaemia ?

Karla9,

When were those tests done?

1 like

June 2017

With B12 that low you should have been given loading doses - so a series of injections, not just one! Looks like your doctor is a contender for numpty of the month...

800iu of Vit D wouldn’t raise the levels of a mouse - you probably need a mega dose of that too to get your levels up.

Is there another doctor in the practice you can see? You could wait for this one to fit you in, but I really don’t think he’s worth waiting for!

1 like

This is what should have happened. If you read through, you’ll see that you should have been given Vit B12 shots every other day for 2 weeks.

cks.nice.org.uk/anaemia-b12...

1 like

hypothyroid causes the deficiencies and most hypothyroids need supplements for life

your doctor is extremely remiss asking you to wait because the lower your levels go the worse things get and longer it takes to recover

You may also like...