Advice on Blood Test - Hypothyroid

Advice on Blood Test - Hypothyroid

Hi could someone please review my mums blood results? My mum is 68yrs old and has been hypothyroid for almost 30 years. Currently taking 100mg Levothyroxine. Many family members with thyroid issues and other autoimmune diseases. The past couple of years she has developed lot of aches and pains especially in hip, knees, shoulders and feet, low mood, tiredness and sleeps poorly. Blood tests, MRI's not showing anything. The blood tests are low in ferritin, folate and B12 can anyone recommend the best supplements to help increase these figures even food/lifestyle comments? Many thanks

serum B12 205 (200-900)

Serum Folate 3.7 (3.1-20)

Serum Ferritin 30 (15-200)

Thyroid

TSH 1.10 (0.35-5)

Free T4 12.8 (9-21)

Skip

Featured Content

Join our community

The community helps everyone affected by thyroid conditions by providing support, information and guidance.

Follow

Featured by HealthUnlocked

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Thanks for posting and others will respond as well.

B12, she has to supplement with B12 sublingual methylcobalamin. B12 is important and it should be towards the top of the range as too low can lead to dementia/alzeimers. (don't tell her this).

Her Free T4 is too low and should be nearer the top. There's no Free T3 and both FT4 and FT3 are important and I'll give you a link to read about the reason for these (rarely done by GP). T4 is inactive and it has to convert to T3. T3 is the only active hormone required in all of our billions of receptor cells in order for us to function well/healthily.

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/testin...

Members will respond about these tests too as I prefer to let others who know more than me comment :)

• B12 Jarrow formulas sublingual methylcobalamin 5000iu

Ferritin 210mg ferrous fumarate x2 (from a pharmacy eg Tescos) with 1000mg vit C

Folate I think Swansons and Jarrow both do a methylfolate

• eating liver may shift ferritin better it does for some people

her t4 is too low so a raise of levo might assist

check that none of her cookware is aluminium or non stick coated or foil or that her water supply company does not use alum or aluminium salts or flouride in their treatment plant

use only stainless steel or cast iron or glass cookware ...check and double check

make sure she is not taking anti depressants or things like lanzoprazole ,omerprazole

You may also like...