Log in
Thyroid UK
91,961 members106,213 posts

Dentist Charges

Hi dont know if anyone can help, in an earlier post I said i had to have a filling or extraction and the dentist used the injection without adrenaline as I have overactive thyroid and take carbizmazole and propananol. She referred me to another dentist to have sedation to have extraction as the injection didnt work well. I have been to new dentist today and they are going to remove two teeth under sedation. I booked appointment and was then asked to pay £56.30 i questioned this as i have already paid my own dentist for band 2 treatment the receptionist said the sedation wasnt included in the amount i paid my own dentist. Can anyone help me on this please?

5 Replies

If you have paid twice - raise a complaint with NHS England I'm sure they deal with it now. You just have to phone them, tell them of your complaint and they will (should) sort it on your behalf.


Complaining to NHS England

NHS England welcomes concerns, compliments and complaints as valuable feedback that will help us learn from your experiences and make improvements to services we commission.

You can complain or give feedback:

By post to:

NHS England

PO Box 16738


B97 9PT

By email to: england.contactus@nhs.net

If you are making a complaint please state: ‘For the attention of the complaints team’ in the subject line.

By telephone: 0300 311 22 33

British Sign Language (BSL): If you use BSL, you can to talk to us via a video call to a BSL interpreter. Visit NHS England’s BSL Service.

Our opening hours are: 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday, except Wednesdays when we open at the later time of 9.30am.

Complaints – what you need to provide

Provide as much information as possible to allow NHS England to investigate your complaint. Include some or all of the following:

your name and a valid email or home address for reply

a phone number in case we need to contact you for additional information

a clear description of what you want to complain about and when this happened

the name of the service you want to complain about

any relevant correspondence

1 like

I'm not law person but if you have paid for a "service" and they cant provide it and they "sub-contract" you to another place they should cover the cost,.it's part of your treatment.not your problem if they cant provide it.

id definitely look into this.

sounds wrong to me.

good luck


I paid my own dentist the max fee of £233 for some extensive treatment but they recommended sedation for one part which they were unable to supply 'in house'. They did me a referal but the new dentist also wanted a £56 fee as by having it done somewhere else it counted as separate treatment!!!!! It would have been a bit of a long shot anyway and to be fair the new dentist advised i would probably lose the tooth in the near future so I decided to cut my losses and my original dentist just took it out. There was no mention of the extra cost being down to the sedation and I had already paid the maximum chargeable anyway

1 like

Hiya - was wondering if the sedation is going to be nitrous oxide? If so please be mindful that it will deplete your B12 levels, this happened to me last year. It was a downward turn for me health wise and it wasn't until I read about nitrous oxide wiping out B12 levels that realised that this had probably contributed to the downward spiral I experienced.


Thank you everyone for your replies will look into this. Thanks again

1 like

You may also like...