Thyroid UK
85,833 members100,745 posts

Should I reduce dose of NDT on these labs ?

Hi all , had a recent blood test after educing from 4.5.grains thyroid -s to 4.25 grains

I wasn't feeling too bad by the end of the four week period on the reduced dose , but a bit up and down. Previous test showed tsh 0.005 hence the reduction.

Going by these latest results , I have reduced again to 4 grains . It's only been a week , but pulse has reduced a bit , low 60 from upper 60, and had trouble getting out of bed in the morning last couple of days. Really , not sure , but going to give it another week.

What are peoples' opinions ? By those labs was a dose reduction essential given the t3 is only slightly over range and the t4 is ok- maybe a little high for NDT . Should I be concerned about going back up to 4.25 if I feel 4 grains doesn't work.

Just so you know , I am self medicating- doctor thinks I'm on Levo

All thoughts appreciated.

THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE * <0.01 mIU/L 0.27 - 4.2 FREE THYROXINE 17.4 pmol/l 12.0 - 22.0 FREE T3 * 7.2 pmol/L 3.1 - 6.8

15 Replies
oldestnewest

Sobajoe,

How long did you leave between last dose and blood draw?

Day before I took 3 gains 7 am , then 1.25 grains 2pm - blood taken 7am next morning before meds .

I stick to this routine before all blood tests , so the dose of meds changes but he times don't.

Sobajoe,

You are a little over medicated to have FT3 over range in that case. I would reduce dose to 3.75 grains.

Thanks for replying. I think it may be interesting, if I can, to stay at the 4 grains mark for the 4 week minimum for another blood test before going back up or further down. One thing I have become aware of recently is that the symptoms for being too high can be misleading, and you can go the wrong way.

Sobajoe,

FT3 responds to dose adjustments more slowly than TSH and FT4. I would wait 6-8 weeks before retesting.

If FT3 is over range you are biochemically over medicated whether or not you feel over medicated or hyper. I had no symptoms of over medication when my FT3 was 8.4 24 hours after last dose.

3 likes

I one had a t3 of 11.8 - I felt that one LOL

1 like

Would you have reduced or stayed put ?

Sobajoe,

Sorry, I thought the results were based on 4 grains. I would reduce from 4.25 grains to 4 grains.

Thanks. I have to resist the urge to interfere before blood results. Before, I have changed based on symptoms and not stayed on a doses long enough for labs to be of benefit. That's what got me into trouble being overmedicated . I once chased the symptoms up to 7 grains. Patience is not a virtue I possess.

Sobajoe,

It's hard to be patient when you feel unwell and are chasing better wellness :(

I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. Levels may not be right , but they're the closest they have been in a long time. Like you say, this time, I think 6 weeks is needed to allow things to settle down.

1 like

Sobajoe,

Don't forget that symptoms can lag behind good biochemistry by a couple of months too.

1 like

Yes , I'm learning from the many mistakes I have mad, slowly slowly is best.

Sobajoe,

I think this article explains it very well thyrophoenix.com/adjusting_...

1 like

Excellent info

You may also like...