Thyroid UK
84,156 members99,136 posts

Thyroid specialist in Edinburgh

Hi all,

I am new to the group and figured it would be good to ask a few questions. The forum has been really helpful already, but considering that I am about to embark on a search for a qualified, I specialist just thought it's worth writing a post.

Over a year ago I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I was living in Poland back then and got all my tests done by endocrynologist, so my TSH, FT3 FT4, anti-TG and anti-TPO plus thyroid ultrasound. Turned out that my anti-TPO are twice the recommended norm, my TSH was a bit too hight and my FT4 was too low, but nothing extreme. Additionally, they've discovered that my thyroid is half the size it should be.

I am only 28, so even though some of the results were borderline, my endo decided to put me on levothyroxine. Initially low dose that increased over time. I have been on medications for over a year now and after coming to Edinburgh, I need to find myself a doctor who would take over from the Polish one and keep me on my meds, or (even better) go for NDT.

Given that there is a difference in interpretation of 'normal range' between British and Polish health systems I would really appreciate doctors recommendations from Edinburgh/Glasgow area.

Thank you! 

1 Reply

Welcome to the forum, MartaPe.

In the UK hypothyroidism is usually managed by GPs.  Use this link to find out how to choose and register with a GP

To see an NHS endo you will require letter of referral from your GP.  Many, but not all, private endocrinologists also require a referral letter.

Email for a list of member recommended endocrinologists.  If your GP agrees you need to see an endocrinologist it may be possible for referral to be made to an NHS endocrinologist from the list.


You may also like...