Thyroid UK
90,544 members104,917 posts

Vitamin D Blood Results

Total Vitamin D :

Interpretive Guide:

(25-hydroxyvitamin D3 : 21.5 nmol/L, 25-hydroxyvitamin D 2 : 2.8 nmol/L)

Obviously I need some supplementation as it is well below 50 nmol/L.

Thanks to Clutter for asking me too get a test.

First of all, what strength shall I get?

Is it better to take with Fish Oils with it is fat soluble?

With this make joint pain worse being Vitamin D deficient?

Thanks

14 Replies
oldestnewest

Also I should add, I was in hospital last year with serious Kidney problems, so dont want too take too much.

Crunchieeagles, The softgel capsules with fish or olive oil will aid absorption. I suggest you supplement 5,000iu D3 for 12 weeks then reduce to 5,000iu alternate days and retest in 4-6 months. Take vitamin D 4 hours away from Levothyroxine.

I had considerable hip and knee joint pain which resolved when vitD <10 was corrected to 107.

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

2 likes

Thanks Clutter!

Maybe add in VitK2 - when taking VitD3 - calcium absorption in the gut from foods is improved - and the K2 directs calcium to the bones rather than leaving it to circulate in the arteries.....

3 likes
1 like

The first link was not available - maybe just me ! The second link was informative but so long :-)

....sorry do not know - have only had the one test done. Will look into having both done next time if available here in sunny Crete !

Still feeling good after 4 years of high dosing !! What should be going wrong - just in case I have missed something ??

I am more than happy to have the information about VitD forums. As I mentioned before - I wrote to Grassroots Health and they checked with their Docs and said all was well.

grassrootshealth.net

There are Docs there that have been researching d for years.....

I have also read that if your TH1 and TH2 are in balance then all can be well - perhaps that is me. And yes I thump my thymus most days - especially when doing yoga :-)

...I vary the dose and often take just one 5000 IU.....

Well all things consider I have decided to suppliment my 2000IU of Vitamin D.

There are many articles on the e=web for pros and cons to this suppleentation.

I will get some Vitamin B12, (1000mg a day), Multi Mineral tablets *2 (which gives me 800mg of Folic Acid) and 400mg of (S-adenosylmethionine) to help with my mood and joints, as well as thyroid supplementation and a multivitamin B and C complex.

What I don't want is my bathroom cupboard looking like something you would find in a pharmacy. It get too confusing, expensive, and the increased likeliness of missing or doubling doses. :)

This is not having a go at all, because I appreciate everyone advice on this forum and it is a great resource of information, and good people offering their opinions and advice.

But getting too much supplementation is as bad as having too little, so I think a balanced approach is the best here.

Thanks to all again!

YeahnI agree. I read this

Usual Adult Dose for Hypocalcemia

Oral

Initial dose: 0.25 mcg orally once a day.

Maintenance dose: May increase by 0.25 mcg/dose at 4 to 8 week intervals.

Parenteral

Initial dose: 0.5 mcg IV 3 times a week.

Maintenance dose: May increase by 0.25 to 0.5 mcg/dose at 2 to 4 week intervals.

Usual Adult Dose for Renal Osteodystrophy

Oral

Initial dose: 0.25 mcg orally once a day.

Maintenance dose: May increase by 0.25 mcg/dose at 4 to 8 week intervals.

Parenteral

Initial dose: 0.5 mcg IV 3 times a week.

Maintenance dose: May increase by 0.25 to 0.5 mcg/dose at 2 to 4 week intervals.

Usual Adult Dose for Hypoparathyroidism

Initial dose: 0.25 mcg orally once a day in the morning.

Maintenance dose: May increase by 0.25 mcg/dose at 2 to 4 week intervals. Most patients respond to 0.25 to 2 mcg once a day.

Usual Adult Dose for Rickets

1 mcg orally once a day

Usual Adult Dose for Secondary Hyperparathyroidism

Predialysis patients: 0.25 mcg orally once a day in the morning.

Dialysis patients: 0.25 mcg orally once a day in the morning. Increase dose, if needed, by 0.25 mcg/dose at 2 to 4 week intervals. For some patients 0.25 mcg orally every other day may be enough. Most patients respond to doses of 0.25 to 1 mcg once a day. Alternatively, 0.5 to 4 mcg IV may be administered three times per week at the end of each dialysis.

Pulse oral therapy:

Study (n=5), patients on Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis:

5 mcg orally given twice per week.

Study (n=19), patients on hemodialysis:

4 mcg orally given twice per week.

Usual Pediatric Dose for Hypoparathyroidism

Less than 1 year: 0.04 to 0.08 mcg/kg orally once a day.

1 to 5 years: 0.25 to 0.75 mcg orally once daily. May increase by 0.25 mcg/dose at 2 to 4 week intervals.

Greater than or equal to 6 years: 0.5 to 2 mcg. May increase by 0.25 mcg/dose at 2 to 4 week intervals.

Usual Pediatric Dose for Rickets

Vitamin D dependent rickets: 1 mcg orally once a day.

Vitamin D resistant rickets (familial hypophosphatemia): Initial: 0.015 to 0.02 mcg/kg orally once daily; maintenance: 0.03 to 0.06 mcg/kg orally once daily; maximum dose: 2 mcg once daily.

Usual Pediatric Dose for Hypocalcemia

Hypocalcemia secondary to hypoparathyroidism:

Neonates: 1 mcg orally once daily for the first 5 days of life, or 0.02 to 0.06 mcg/kg/day.

Hypocalcemic tetany:

Neonates: 0.05 mcg/kg IV once daily for 5 to 12 days or 0.25 mcg orally once daily followed by 0.01 to 0.10 mcg/kg/day divided in 2 doses daily

(maximum daily dose: 2 mcg).

Hi Epictetus.

I haven;t started yet :) , waiting for the amazon delivery.

Got it from here

drugs.com/dosage/calcitriol...

Thanks

when I was deficient, dr put me on 5000mg d3 with k2 in it, available online many places and mine was not deficient as yours. I took that daily and still take it 5 days a week..years later ...and it works....hence if you don't get a lot of sunlight with skin exposed, it is quite common to be deficient for many people and in winter months , and if low can cause so many body aches....

1 like

Thanks in that case i will up it to 4000 IU

You may also like...