Vitamin D Blood Results

Total Vitamin D :

Interpretive Guide:

(25-hydroxyvitamin D3 : 21.5 nmol/L, 25-hydroxyvitamin D 2 : 2.8 nmol/L)

Obviously I need some supplementation as it is well below 50 nmol/L.

Thanks to Clutter for asking me too get a test.

First of all, what strength shall I get?

Is it better to take with Fish Oils with it is fat soluble?

With this make joint pain worse being Vitamin D deficient?

Thanks

22 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Also I should add, I was in hospital last year with serious Kidney problems, so dont want too take too much.

• Crunchieeagles, The softgel capsules with fish or olive oil will aid absorption. I suggest you supplement 5,000iu D3 for 12 weeks then reduce to 5,000iu alternate days and retest in 4-6 months. Take vitamin D 4 hours away from Levothyroxine.

I had considerable hip and knee joint pain which resolved when vitD <10 was corrected to 107.

_______________________________________________________________________________

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Thanks Clutter!

• Maybe add in VitK2 - when taking VitD3 - calcium absorption in the gut from foods is improved - and the K2 directs calcium to the bones rather than leaving it to circulate in the arteries.....

• I would not now supplement based on the standard "vit D" or calcidiol test result alone. UNFORTUNATELY, I did not know the real reasons why this was inappropriate, and have actually made matters worse for myself, by supplementing as recommended so commonly.

I'd encourage you to read:

1] independent.co.uk/life-styl... by Tim Spector, Professor of Genetic Epidemiology, King's College London, AND,

2] autoimmunityresearch.org/pr...

Worth considering ?

I'd take with a healthy (big) dose of (unrefined) salt any advise on supplementing with prohormone "vit D" based on the standard calcidiol test alone, at least until all inflammation-causing ( - said to be Th1, in particular) conditions have been excluded, for reasons that the 2nd item above explains in enough detail to appear more than a little plausible !

TC . . . . and do keep yourself safe (from iatric harm, at least) !

;~)

• The first link was not available - maybe just me ! The second link was informative but so long :-)

• Thanks Marz - I've corrected the link above and here it is again:

independent.co.uk/life-styl...

I see no evidence in the article by Prof Spector that he is aware of the body of info./knowledge/opinion on the "vitamin D dysfunction" which we've discussed previously and which seems to apply in particular to people with Th1 implicated inflammation-causing conditions (of which it seems there is a growing list of diagnostic labels, including cases of thyroiditis). Nonetheless, the conclusions he has arrived at seem all too clear.

Further, the medical understanding that is available on this secosteriod hormone does CLEARLY leads to the view that supplementing with "vitD" is shooting in the DARK ( - or worse, actually) without information about calcitriol [1,25(OH)2D] especially for one sub-group of a usually chronically unwell the population.

Those so affected may well experience a TEMPORARY PALLIATIVE EFFECT initially . . . . . . which is reported as actually making matters worse in the longer term; so that response is a known bad sign and preferably avoided, it may reasonably be said.

:~)x

• Re. the 2nd link being SO LONG, Marz . . . . . . . if you examine the list of ONE HUNDRED & FORTY ONE references over 4.5 pages . . . . . . you may well be impressed by the substantial girth too !

;~))x

PS: would be interested in knowing what your calcidiol/calcitriol ratio comes out at, considering your daily "vitD" dose . . . . . do please let us know if you do find out !

• ....sorry do not know - have only had the one test done. Will look into having both done next time if available here in sunny Crete !

Still feeling good after 4 years of high dosing !! What should be going wrong - just in case I have missed something ??

• My main concern, Marz is that you could (still ?) be in your "temporary palliative effect" phase . . . . . tho' if you are, . . . . . that seems like a long time ! If you know your immune response is Th1, that's would appear to make it more likely, my current understanding suggests.

But your case may be more complicated than I can decipher (at this stage). As previously said, others more experienced on the relevant "vit D dyfunction" forums may have a better idea already of about the uniqueness of your presentation. There are at least two such forums, on one of which people as are helpful and welcoming as on here ! (Have no experience of the other one so far !).

Do let me know if you decide to do that !

TC,

;~)x

• I am more than happy to have the information about VitD forums. As I mentioned before - I wrote to Grassroots Health and they checked with their Docs and said all was well.

grassrootshealth.net

There are Docs there that have been researching d for years.....

I have also read that if your TH1 and TH2 are in balance then all can be well - perhaps that is me. And yes I thump my thymus most days - especially when doing yoga :-)

• . . . . and yet, Marz, as far as I know these very Docs ( are well as many "vit D" gurus, with impressive credentials) do not have any reasonable explanation for the feeling better then getting worse effect (= the "temp. palliative effect") I and many others have experienced).

That explanation I've only found in this body of opinion that I've now fortunately found, which applies to a specific sub-group of those with chronic illnesses.

Yes, the Th1 and Th2 being in balance in your case may be an important factor. That doesn't explain to me why you need 10,000IU/day . . . . that's intriguing me, still. Clearly, immunologically, we're can be v. different.

TC,

;~)

• ...I vary the dose and often take just one 5000 IU.....

• Well all things consider I have decided to suppliment my 2000IU of Vitamin D.

There are many articles on the e=web for pros and cons to this suppleentation.

I will get some Vitamin B12, (1000mg a day), Multi Mineral tablets *2 (which gives me 800mg of Folic Acid) and 400mg of (S-adenosylmethionine) to help with my mood and joints, as well as thyroid supplementation and a multivitamin B and C complex.

What I don't want is my bathroom cupboard looking like something you would find in a pharmacy. It get too confusing, expensive, and the increased likeliness of missing or doubling doses. :)

This is not having a go at all, because I appreciate everyone advice on this forum and it is a great resource of information, and good people offering their opinions and advice.

But getting too much supplementation is as bad as having too little, so I think a balanced approach is the best here.

Thanks to all again!

• "Getting too much is as bad as too little" is I'd concur just spot on, especially concerning prohormone "vitD" levels . . . . . where the known "hypersensitivity" in a sub-group of the population, it seems can be identified by measuring levels of the active hormone, calcitriol [or 1,25(OH)2D] . . . . . a test not readily available, at least in the UK within the NHS, and comparing that figure to that of calcidiol [or 25(OH)D], the standard blood test for "vitD".

Therefore the broadly "right" blood level of calcidiol for those with the "hypersensitivity", or preferably a "vitD/VDR dysfunction" is MOST certainly likely to be lower than for those who do not have it ( - and by implication don't have a Th1-related condition ?). However, it seems all too often, this simple distinction is never made in practice.

:~)

• YeahnI agree. I read this

Usual Adult Dose for Hypocalcemia

Oral

Initial dose: 0.25 mcg orally once a day.

Maintenance dose: May increase by 0.25 mcg/dose at 4 to 8 week intervals.

Parenteral

Initial dose: 0.5 mcg IV 3 times a week.

Maintenance dose: May increase by 0.25 to 0.5 mcg/dose at 2 to 4 week intervals.

Usual Adult Dose for Renal Osteodystrophy

Oral

Initial dose: 0.25 mcg orally once a day.

Maintenance dose: May increase by 0.25 mcg/dose at 4 to 8 week intervals.

Parenteral

Initial dose: 0.5 mcg IV 3 times a week.

Maintenance dose: May increase by 0.25 to 0.5 mcg/dose at 2 to 4 week intervals.

Usual Adult Dose for Hypoparathyroidism

Initial dose: 0.25 mcg orally once a day in the morning.

Maintenance dose: May increase by 0.25 mcg/dose at 2 to 4 week intervals. Most patients respond to 0.25 to 2 mcg once a day.

Usual Adult Dose for Rickets

1 mcg orally once a day

Usual Adult Dose for Secondary Hyperparathyroidism

Predialysis patients: 0.25 mcg orally once a day in the morning.

Dialysis patients: 0.25 mcg orally once a day in the morning. Increase dose, if needed, by 0.25 mcg/dose at 2 to 4 week intervals. For some patients 0.25 mcg orally every other day may be enough. Most patients respond to doses of 0.25 to 1 mcg once a day. Alternatively, 0.5 to 4 mcg IV may be administered three times per week at the end of each dialysis.

Pulse oral therapy:

Study (n=5), patients on Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis:

5 mcg orally given twice per week.

Study (n=19), patients on hemodialysis:

4 mcg orally given twice per week.

Usual Pediatric Dose for Hypoparathyroidism

Less than 1 year: 0.04 to 0.08 mcg/kg orally once a day.

1 to 5 years: 0.25 to 0.75 mcg orally once daily. May increase by 0.25 mcg/dose at 2 to 4 week intervals.

Greater than or equal to 6 years: 0.5 to 2 mcg. May increase by 0.25 mcg/dose at 2 to 4 week intervals.

Usual Pediatric Dose for Rickets

Vitamin D dependent rickets: 1 mcg orally once a day.

Vitamin D resistant rickets (familial hypophosphatemia): Initial: 0.015 to 0.02 mcg/kg orally once daily; maintenance: 0.03 to 0.06 mcg/kg orally once daily; maximum dose: 2 mcg once daily.

Usual Pediatric Dose for Hypocalcemia

Hypocalcemia secondary to hypoparathyroidism:

Neonates: 1 mcg orally once daily for the first 5 days of life, or 0.02 to 0.06 mcg/kg/day.

Hypocalcemic tetany:

Neonates: 0.05 mcg/kg IV once daily for 5 to 12 days or 0.25 mcg orally once daily followed by 0.01 to 0.10 mcg/kg/day divided in 2 doses daily

(maximum daily dose: 2 mcg).

• What is the source of this (conservative-seeming ?) information, which may be helpful to counteract the considerable over-zealousness on prohormone "vitD" supplementation ?

And, are you nonetheless taking 4000IU (= 100mcg, or 0.1mg) per day ? ? ?

TC,

• Hi Epictetus.

I haven;t started yet :) , waiting for the amazon delivery.

Got it from here

drugs.com/dosage/calcitriol...

Thanks

• Ahhhh Crunchie,

I've identified THE CONFUSION ( - we're comparing apples with apple pies, in a sense !). See:

drugs.com/cdi/calcitriol.html

This is a page for the "active hormone" calcitriol, . . . . used with medical supervision. You have not ordered that - you've ordered prohormone "vitD3" more commonly known as "vitamin D" ( vit D3, or cholecalciferol, which the body converts FIRST to calcidiol, . . . . . and THEN to calcitriol, . . . . to which the info you found refers WHEN TAKEN as a medicine, under the guidance of a consultant, usually, I imagine !).

I'd recommend you to read: fearlessparent.org/suppleme... . . . . which is an shorter intro. to the longer (2nd) paper I gave above (re. the "dysfunction").

A more technically in-depth article on this is easily found by searching in Gggle Bks for "Vitamin D: New Research" (2006), ed. V. Stolzt.

I'd strongly advise you RULE OUT having the said dysfunction in your case BEFORE you commence the "vitD3" supplementation . . . . otherwise you may be heading the "wrong direction" biochemically speaking ! Feel free to supplement according to guidance received, still monitoring 25(OH)D levels, IF you don't have this . . . . . . OTHERWISE, I'd suggest (on personal experience) that you're better off NOT taking any ( - if you do have the "dysfunction" and "Th1-implicated" condition) !

And PLEASE do discuss the Fearless Parent article with your GP, after perhaps forwarding him/her the link . . . . . . that's how we can raise medical awareness of this; SO important !

TC,

• when I was deficient, dr put me on 5000mg d3 with k2 in it, available online many places and mine was not deficient as yours. I took that daily and still take it 5 days a week..years later ...and it works....hence if you don't get a lot of sunlight with skin exposed, it is quite common to be deficient for many people and in winter months , and if low can cause so many body aches....

• Thanks in that case i will up it to 4000 IU

You may also like...