A brief history first. I was diagnosed hypo 12 years ago and I was put on levothyroxine. For many years I took 25mcg every other day. Then I started to feel ill again and the dose was increased. I then changed GP and I was put on Armour because I still didn't feel well. The dose was gradually increased and with each increase I felt better initially but then felt ill again. After this GP practice closed I went to a new practice who continued to prescribe Armour.

7 weeks ago I was fed up of feeling ill all the time so I stopped taking the Armour completely. After 12 days, and feeling better, I went to see the GP. He told me not to take any for 6 weeks and then have a blood test so that my body would have cleared all the Armour. He also prescribed iron as he said my ferritin was too low, even though I had been told by all other doctors that it was ok.

Today I went back for my results. TSH is 11 and now the practice has been told they cannot prescribe Armour anymore so I am back on Levotyroxine but this time I am going to be monitored which has never happened before. In the past I have just been given the pills and told to have a blood test in a year. I am not too upset about losing the Armour as it didn't make me well anyway.

4 Replies

• Mouse, TSH 11 is overtly hypothyroid so you do need thyroid replacement. I hope that once you are optimally medicated Levothyroxine works well for you.

• Have you tried asking for T3 [Liothyronine]? It may well help .

Many don't get on with Levo [ like me] and though there were some mild side effects on T3 it was/is much easier to live with if managed dosewise-as it's 5x more effective than T4.

[I'm doing T3 intermittently for Wilson's syndrome]

Good luck in trying for it, if you do..

• I think it was the T3 in the Armour that was the problem as the ratio is different to what would naturally happen in a human.

I am going to give the Levo a go and see how I am. I had a blood test last week while taking 25mcg daily and my TSH was 1.

• It may well be fine to up the T4 but if you end up with the same result [sooner -maybe later on] then think about the T3.

You may also like...