Log in
Thyroid UK
93,547 members107,591 posts

Bulging eye & Lump in throat

t's been about 5 months since I last posted my labs and nothing has improved and I haven't received any help from my Doctor or a private Endo (£180 down the drain to be told "I need sleep" yeah, thanks.. I could of told myself that for free.) apparently my antibodies tested for positive, they are supposed to be 9 or under and mine were 14 when I last had my bloods

I feel lost to be honest. My doctor thinks I am 'borderline' but I am experiencing every symptom going, I can't work because I am in that much pain and fatigue. My partner is great and wants to help wherever he can but we both don't know where to go about treatment? I don't want to go back to my Doctor to only be fobbed off with excuses, you know?

I've looked at private doctors Online and they nearly all need an NHS referal from your GP.

Just so frustrated at the lack of educated and caring doctors, I fret seeing them!

Any advice for a 21 year old Female, Based in Wales UK on getting the right help? I'm even prepared to travel to get the right diagnosis and treatment if needs be.. I know it's all different in other countries

3 Replies

CapturedWave, I recommend you see an optician to have the bulging eye checked. Be sure to tell the optician you have positive thyroid peroxidase antibodies (Hashimoto's) and ask whether the bulging may be due to thyroid eye disease (TED).

Hashimoto's attacks can inflame and enlarge the thyroid gland. Ask your GP to palpate your neck and throat. If a palpable lump is detected ask your GP to order you a thyroid ultrasound scan to check the condition of your thyroid gland. It would be reasonable to have a repeat thyroid function test as your last was 5 months ago. Arrange an early morning and fasting (water only) blood draw as TSH is highest then and drops post-prandially.

You might consider 100% gluten-free diet which has helped many Hashi patients reduce Hashi flare ups and antibodies.



If you intend asking for an endo referral Email louise.warvill@thyroiduk.org.uk for a list of member recommended endos first.


I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.


Following on from Clutter's suggestion - if there's a Moorfields Eye Hospital within your local hospital they may be better than an Optician and I don't think you need an appointment.


Also consider angioedema from allergies. If the tissue around and behind your eyes swell it can look like your eyes are bulging, cause vision problems (blurring and double vision) and bags below your eyes, etc. This is caused typically from allergic reactions. Angioedema is usually worst in face and gut, but I get swelling all over, including uvula (that feeling that a bean is stuck in your throat), mouth, throat, lung, etc. Finding and removing the allergen(s) and treatment with allergy medicines and prednisone is typically the treatment. An allergy elimation diet is helpful too.


You may also like...