Blood Test and Increase in levothyroxine

I am currently on 125mg levo. Have the usual symptoms of tiredness, breathlessness, constipation, dry flaky nails, etc

Latest test result

TSH 9.9 (0.27 - 4.20)

T4 6.2 (10;.3 - 24.5)

T3 2.7 (3.5 - 6.5)

Vit D 80 nmol/L (Deficiency < 50 nmol

Insufficient 51-80 nmol

Therapeutic Target >80 mol

Cholesterol has increased from 4.5 to 6.6 also! Doc says he would expect that as undereducated.

I am taking Healthy Origins 2,400IU Vit D daily.

Doc wants to increase levo to 200mg. I was rather hoping for a referral as not convinced levo is answer.

Any thoughts welcome

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • That is meant to read under medicated !!!!

• you're undermedicated that's for sure, but I thought increases of 25mcg->50mcg thyroxine were standard?

Seems a big jump up.....?

• its vital that

Ferritin

Folate

B12

Vit D3 are all tested as they SHOULD ALL BE HALFWAY in their ranges

Usually Ferritin is very low and until that is fixed no amount of levothyroxine will solve matters

• B12 416 (174 -1132)

Ferritin 71.9 (13.00 - 150.00)

Folate 9.2 (4.20 - 18.70)

Do you think they are within decent range

thanks

• Result look ok although maybe B12 a tad low. Could benefit from B12 supplementation.

Sure I've read on here that increases in levothyroxine are usually in 25mcg increments though.

You might find an extra 75mcg very difficult to handle without working up to it.

• I am already supplementing with B12.. Maybe I could increase dose.

I agree that 75mcg does seem quite a big jump!

Maybe I will post another question about it

• Pussycatwillow, it is more usual to increase in 25mcg increments every 6 weeks but that will take months to get you on the dose your GP recommends. If you are sensitive to dose increases try 25mcg increases every 2-3 weeks. If not increase by 50mcg and if you don't feel overstimulated after 3-4 weeks increase to 200mcg. Make sure you have a blood test 6-8 weeks after increasing dose to check levels.

• Thanks Clutter... I do have a blood test booked in 6 weeks.

You may also like...