Coconut and Hashimotos

I was told by my Endo doctor to keep any coconut product and thyroid meds, four hours apart. Has anyone else been told this? She is an Endo doc......but I do read that coconut is good for us and I had begun to drink coconut milk in the morning. Yes it does have calcium in it but I was drinking Almond milk which also has calcium. So confused!?

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • just a guess here: maybe the fat can prevent absorption of the thyroid meds. ????

• Foods etc can interfere with the uptake of levothyroxine that's why we say to leave around 1 hour before taking breakfast. Coconut oil is being used as a supplement and it is very good for thyroid problems. Your doctor is right, supplements/other meds should be taken 4 hours apart from levo. She sounds quite good if she has told you that as I doubt many other Endos would be aware.

You could take levo at bedtime, having last eaten 2 hours before so there would be no interference. If so, you would miss the night dose if you were having a blood test next day, taking it after the test and you can also take the dose at night too.

• You should always take any sort of thyroxine on an empty stomach.

You may also like...