Thyroid UK
87,698 members102,386 posts

Thyroid panel

Where is best to get a full thyroid panel,i went to doc to ask him to do one ,he sai we only need tsh &t4 ,i said that i joined thyroid uk and i am a bit more clued up on what to ask for ,his reply "yes there are a lot of journal out there" its like trying to flog a dead horse wi nhs docs.I recently got a magnesium rbc test done private which the nhs dont do either and i am deficient with it when the nhs plasma test showed normal.When u guys get a private test ,who takes ur blood as i dont think my doc will do it again as i proved him wrong with the magnesium one and i had a few words with him today.

5 Replies

Neijam, you can order private thyroid panels from Blue Horizon and Genova via These are finger prick tests which you can do yourself.

Unfortunately GPs don't understand thyroid well and assume T3 will be fine when TSH is range even though FT4 may be low and will struggle to convert adequate T3.

Most of us in the UK and USA are magnesium deficient at a cellular level because of depleted minerals in the soil and as serum testing doesn't reflect cellular levels we supplement without testing.


Thanks clutter ,i have just done a 24hr saliva test with genova awaiting results ,so does the finger prick test cover the reverse t3 to and do you know how much it costs from blue horizon


Well, how about symptoms? Being sent away without a diagnosis? Who can decide what is wrong if not the doctor? They seem to ignore all those questions.

Probably the approach of telling them what you want puts up a defensive attitude.

Perhaps you could try another GP and just express your symptoms, have the TSH and T4 tests and go from there. If they are "normal" restate your symptoms and see if they will do further testing. (FT3)

You can get a composite of all the thyroids for a flat fee through Blue Horizon.


Heloise i had a sub total thyroidectomy years ago as i had overactive thyroid and i have had to give up work over the last 3yrs due to my symptoms ,they diagnossed me with cfs but that is just a name coz they dont know whats going on ,i have always be adamant that it has somethiing to do with my thyroid but this cant be ruled out if they dont do all the appropriate tests.I dont know if anyother docs in my area would check all the tests either


If at all possible, I would try to switch doctors. I know what you are going through as I have gone through it myself, and am still trying to get proper testing and treatment. At the very least, you should get tsh, free t3, free t4, and antibodies testing. My doctor will only do tsh also, and I feel like rubbish so I am hoping to switch doctors. All of the tests are: TSH, Free T4/Free thyroxine, total t4/total thyroxine/serum thyroxine, total t3/total triiodothyronine, free t3/free triirodothyronine, T3 resin uptake (T3RU), Thyroglobulin/Tg, Reverse T3, Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) antibodies(TPOAb)/Antithyroid Peroxidase Antibodies, Thyroglobulin Antibodies/ Antithyroglobulin Antibodies, Thyroid-Stimulating Immunoglobulins (TSI)/TSH Stimulating Antibodies (TSAb), Thyroid-Stimulating Immunoglobulins (TSI), TSH Stimulating Antibodies (TSAb), Blocking thyroid stimulating antibodies. I don't know if you can find a good doctor and simply ask for these tests, but this has been what I have found, hoping to someday get proper treatment. I typed it all so please don't mind any spelling errors. I wish you the best of luck xoxo.


You may also like...