Amiodarone withdrawal affecting TSH

I have recently (2 months ago) come off Amiodarone after 7 years. After being on it for about 9 months my blood test showed Amiodarone induced hypothyroidism and I've been on doses of Levothyroxine varying between 25-100 mg.

My TSH level is currently 0.12 which I believe is in the normal/borderline hyper range. It was 16.1 when I first stopped Amiodarone and T4 was 15.4. No idea what T4 is now. I have to have a repeat test in September. At the same time as coming off Amiodarone, a diuretic was withdrawn so presumably things could now be a bit more concentrated in my blood. Still on Warfarin and Bisoprolol as well.

My question is really about what I can expect, especially whether my thyroid situation will normalise and I can come off Levothyroxine. Has anyone else experience of this?

Thanks

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Patient Information Leaflet Bisoprolol says:

The tablets can hide symptoms of an over-active thyroid.

medicines.org.uk/emc/medici...

I think you need a proper conversation with a good pharmacist and/or doctor. I feel very out of my depth.

Rod

• Thank you.

Yes, it's very confusing when you are on several medications, some interact with each other and you don't know what is influencing test results. On the positive side, I haven't felt so well in years so can't actually complain of any symptoms.

One slight mystery is that I started to lose weight when I was put on Bisoprolol (almost a year ago) but my appetite and diet remained unchanged. I've now lost a stone, am at my perfect weight medically and the weight has stabilised. FBC did not show any abnormalities.

• Amiodarone is an exceptionally long-acting medication. After long-term treatment, it persists in the body for many months after it has been stopped. You should request repeat blood tests every 3 months or so and adjust your levothyroxine dose accordingly. Eventually, levothyroxine may not be required.

You may also like...