TL;DR – Have painful left sided tummy cramps, feeling of stool blockage at the same site. Very soft stools, all tests and scopes return normal. Tried IBS supplements, diet change, painkillers, fibre supplements.
This is something which has been bugging me for the better part of a couple of months now. It all started in November where my stools were softer, more in quantity and I was experiencing increased BMs during the day. In December, the same continued, but for more than half of the time, my stools would be watery and diahhrea like. It was then that I started developing left sided cramps and pain, especially after a BM. It felt like a blockage over there and passing stools felt incomplete. It was like I was constipated but my stools were really soft and a little watery. I needed to sit on the toilet for between 45 minutes to one hour each time, at least 3 times a day.
This culminated in 3 ED visits, the last requiring me to be hospitalized for a week. Doctors performed every test under the sun (blood, urine, MRI Endoscopy, Gastroscopy, colonoscopy, CT scans) all of which came back negative. No colitis, IBD, diverticulitis, diverticulosis or Crohns disease were found. I was then hastily given a diagnosis of IBS as all results were normal. Having suffered from the latter for nearly all my life, it was never this bad.
What I’ve tried:
1. Strong painkillers like Endone and Oxycodone never helped with the cramps and diarrhoea. At most they numb me so much that make me very sleepy but deep down the pain’s still there.
2. I’ve taken nearly every single IBS over the counter supplement known to man. You name it, I’ve probably taken it at some point last year.
3. Gentle natural fibre supplements such as Benefiber and Normafibe. Made my visits to the toilet longer (between 1 hour to 1.5 each time), more frequent and increased watery stools.
4. Different diets - low fibre, high fibre, low lactose or normal lactose. Although high fibre diets do exacerbate the situation.
5. Imodium – Made me constipated, more cramps and still have to go to the toilet frequently even though very little comes out.
My question is does anyone have any solution? I cannot have any social life anymore due to needing the loo every hour aside from the constant left sided cramps which are irritating to say the least.