Moviprep or Picolax

I had a colonoscopy about 18 months ago and was given Moviprep which was gross, even though it was orange flavoured, yuk. I only managed to get half way through the second batch as it was making me gag.

I now have to have another colonoscopy on Friday and I've been given Senokot and Picolax.

What I'd like to know is which one is the most gross to take.

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Oh dear, poor you. As it happens, I had a Colonoscopy 2 days ago. But it seems the preparation is different in every hospital. I don't know where you are or even whether you ar ein the UK, which is where I am. |I was given 10 Senecot plus two Sachets of 'Citramag' to drink. I must be honest I only took 6 Senecot plus the Citramag which was no problem at all. It had a lemony taste and I can honestly say there was nothing unpleasant about it to make anyone gag. I don't know whether they would prescribe that for you? IOt's the one thing that was incredibly easy about it all.

• Thanks Anniec11. I am in the UK. It's too late now to change it. I've been given 4 Senekot which I have to take tonight and then 2 sachets of the Picolax to take tomorrow. Fortunately each sachet only makes a cup full whereas the Moviprep makes 2 litres in total. I know which I think I prefer.

• I have never had Moviprep, but Picolax umpteen times, and have not had a problem with it. It is quite palatable, sometimes works quickly - other times more slowly, but it can give you very watery diarrhoea. Good Luck x

• Hi , a few months ago I was given moviprep to take at home only managed 1 litre and had to phone hospital as had a reaction, hot face,throwing up and uncontrollably shaking to go with the diahorriah ! So they wouldn't do it the next day as they said I hadn't taken enough! Evil stuff

Next time I had 2 sachets of picolax under observation in hospital. No reaction but was running to bathroom after a few hours and it didn't stop for 2 days lol!

So defiantly picolax over moviprep for me

• 2 DAYS!!! OMG you poor thing.

I had Moviprep last time but was gagging on the second litre and didn't/couldn't finish it.

Why oh why don't they tell you in the instructions they give you that if you have yours or my reaction to it to stop taking it immediately?

• All of it is gross and I vomit it all up. It has stained all my ensuite and will never forget the trauma it left me in.

Good luck !!!

• Right, well the colonoscopy went ahead and I opted for sedation. I'm so glad I did because I felt every single twist and turn of the colonoscope :( and it was quite uncomfortable.

It turns out I have ulcerative colitis.

You may also like...