Good evening, my fellow RLS sufferers.
I have just returned from my GP who is a good listener. He has told me that I know much more about RLS than him - and I know much less than most of you! So thank you for all that you each share in order to inform the wider community. The GP has accepted all my reasoning for wanting to come off the 1.5mg of Ropinirole I am currently taking. I have a blood test booked for two days' time and, at his suggestion, will make sure I ask for the figure of the ferritin lovel and not just that it's 'normal'.
In the meantime he is writing to neurology, including all the notes I have written up, asking for advice about RLS, withdrawal from the DA, appropriate medication to help and so on. An appointment for me to speak face to face with a neurologist will take 9-12 months. I can't believe I would have that long to wait before the next bit of augmentation sets in so he and I will have to agree how to set about the process and just hope we get some helpful advice. I have told him what I'm doing to try to alleviate symptoms - compression socks and magnesium oil (got some itching this evening, 24 hours after first using it, but it's well within bounds of coping with), and emphasised the necessity of making sure my ferritin levels are at an appropriate level for RLS and, if not, taking ferrous sulphate or gentle iron. So long as I can get as much working in my favour as possible, I hope the effects of withdrawal will, when the time comes, be kept to a minimum.
So, having made the decision for myself, I now have my GP on-board with it. I suspect wheels might grind rather slowly, but he has given me 'permission' to chase things up in two to three weeks.
For now, I wish you all a quiet night!