I have been diagnosed with all three neurological disorders and have learned several things that might be helpful to other sufferers.:
1. These are neurological disorders and are best treated by neurologists. Most GP’s and PCP’s are not current on best practices for treatment of neurological disorders.
2. I needed a referral from another MD to see a neurologist; medical records were requested to insure that the specialist felt he could treat my conditions.
3. I had to change neurologists before finding the right one for me. I am now seeing my second neurologist; the first one was helpful treating and diagnosing migraines, but he was not current with best practices for these conditions. Not only did the new neurologist test for ferritin level (mine was 24), he also tested for levels of Vitamins B-12 and D-3. Both levels were low, and he prescribed OTC meds for those. He also changed one med I was taking to treat essential tremors.
4. This neurologist also gave me information on rebates for Neupro (which he prescribed after seeing my history of taking increasing doses of gabapentin, duloxetine, ropinrole, carbidopa-levodopa, and amitriptyline to no avail. He made referrals for support groups for my disorders and suggested I visit reputable websites to learn about the disorders.
5. Googling the names of the disorders brought a wealth of information from reputable sites such as Medline (Nat’l Institutes of Health), Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, RLS Foundation, and Sleep Foundation. I found them to be very helpful.
I still have some sleepless nights, some painful movements, and an allergy to the Neupro patch. The patch (for which a dermatologist prescribed an anti-fungal cream) is worth the discomfort because it is by far the most effective treatment I have had.