So here is were we are at now. Following a bout of Pneumonia after he aspirated. Dad should have had his op to insert a PEG on Wednesday, after initial investigation with a camera down the throat (which agitated Dad greatly even under sedation) doctors could not go ahead, as they said his stomach was to high (my mums words). We then waited a day for them to put a feeding tube up his nose and into his stomach (he had this prior to the op) and are now waiting for them to scan to see if it is in the right place before connecting it up. Dad is very weak. We are told Dad can only be fed this way for 4 weeks maximum. Now another meeting is to take place next Tuesday (5th July) to decide whether to attempt the operation again. Dad cannot talk or walk. He can just about reach his arm around us for a cuddle and gives us the occasional beautiful smile. He is unable to relay any wishes to us. Mum and I are now thinking that the operation will not go ahead and wondering if we should just take him back home (rather than the nursing home he has been in since March) where he will surrounded by familiar things and the people he loves. Apparently we would be able to feed him by mouth just small amounts but if he gets Pneumonia again it will just be palliative care that is offered. What choice do we have??? I feel like we are playing God making these decisions. Who has the right to decide what counts as quality when it is someone else's life?
Content on HealthUnlocked does not replace the relationship between you and doctors or other healthcare professionals nor the advice you receive from them.