Blood result advice

Hi looking for some advice re. blood test results I have recently...My GP has said all is fine, however I'm not convinced as my results are not within range... Can someone give me some advice as to what to do (if anything) going forward?

Serum Vit B12: 220ng/L

Serum Folate: 2.8ng/mL

RBC Count: 5.28 10*12/L

Haematocrit: 0.478L/L

My serum ferritin however came back within normal range but I've added it anyway: 52.4ug/L

Thank you in advance for any advice anyone can offer me, and hopefully shed some clearer light on these results

1 Reply

oldestnewest
  • Hi,

i've assumed you're in the UK.

It's helpful if you can include the reference ranges next to your results. Your B12 looks to be at the low end of the normal range in my area and your folate level would be considered low in my area.

I'd suggest looking at the following if you think B12/Folate might be an issue.

1) pinned posts on this forum

2) BCSH Cobalamin and Folate guidelines

UK document outlining recommended diagnostic process and treatment for those with b12 and folate deficiency.

b-s-h.org.uk/guidelines/ Click on box that says "Diagnosis of B12 and folate deficiency" Think this is on third page

3) BMJ B12 article

bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g5226

4) PAS website

pernicious-anaemia-society....

5) B12 Deficiency Info website

b12deficiency.info/

6) b12d.org website

b12d.org/

7) Book "What You Need to Know About Pernicious Anaemia and Vitamin B12 Deficiency" by Martyn Hooper

8) Book "Could It Be B12" by Sally Pacholok and JJ. Stuart

I am not a medic just a perosn who has spent years trying to find answers.

You may also like...