I posted before about my B12 levels and my genetic profile and I have a few questions which I would be very grateful for your help on. Here goes:
- My B12 level was 284 - all other bloods except iron good
- My 'iron levels' were 7 (gone up from 4 after taking spatone) and 112 - not sure what these were measuring, but the doctor said the 112 was only just below the 113 low threshold but both were low - she gave me iron tablets but I can't tolerate them (get severe stomach problems and have tried various kinds)
- My genetic report said that I have +/+ genes that restrict the processing of folate and B12
- My mum and grandma have PA
- I've started taking Jarrow methyl B12 1000 micrograms
So my questions are:
What are the 7 and the 112 in my iron test?
With my iron being low, will the Jarrow methyl B12 work?
If my problem is genetic can it be treated the same way as someone who has an intrinsic factor problem and PA?
As I said in my last post my doctor did not diagnose PA despite my mother and grandma having it and my genetic reports, as my B12 level was considered normal at 284. Obviously I cannot change my genetic makeup and if I can't process B12 and folate I will have to accept it and do the best I can - my confusion is around what this 'best' is. My doctor is not helpful at all.
I am not experiencing chronic symptoms but my energy levels were always low and my thinking foggy, but I have coped and got used to it. After supplementing with OTC B complex and spatone following my genetic report my energy levels are already a bit better, but I just want to do the right thing for my body.
If anyone could help I would be grateful. Thank you.