This is a response to the post "Liquefy your L-dopa" (about dissolving levodopa in ascorbic acid and water). I'm starting a new thread here because it's been 8 months since that original post. The author of that post does meticulous internet research and communicates it so very well to all of us here on this forum. He is greatly appreciated. With that said (and I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer), I think a couple of precautions on the subject should be noted.
Today, I thought I was all set to try the method of liquefying levodopa by mixing it with ascorbic acid and water. Then, I googled 'ascorbic acid toxicity' and read some things that were of concern. I take C/L every 2.5 hours, so with the liquefying method, I'd also be ingesting ascorbic acid every 2.5 hours. One article (https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search2/r?dbs+hsdb:@term+@rn+50-81-7) said that for individuals predisposed to renal stones, chronic administration of high doses of ascorbic acid may lead to stone formation. I don't know what's considered a high dose, but my brother and sister have both had kidney stones (excruciatingly painful they said), so this might not be a good idea for people like me.
Another point of concern: it seems that ascorbic acid increases the absorption of dietary iron (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6940487). PwP store excess iron in their brains, and this is thought to cause toxic oxidative stress (https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160125184315.htm). I wonder if the amount of ascorbic acid ingested several times a day everyday with liquefied levodopa would be enough to increase the store of iron in the brain, or would it take much larger amounts.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?