Has anyone else had this?

To begin at the beginning, my husband had a bad accident at work 19 years ago. He suffered internal injuries and 'hurt his back'. He's always suffered chronic pain from the internal injuries, but after a few years he started having problems with his back - In particular, his neck. Was referred to an orthopaedic specialist who told him he had spondylosis. He was prescribed yet more painkillers and sent on his merry way. This past year he started having problems swallowing. I nagged and nagged for him to go to the doctor, and he eventually went as it was getting worse. He was referred to E.N.T. and was given a CT scan. It showed that where the discs in his spine were shunted in his accident, they had calcified inward, causing a partial blockage between his spine and his throat, hence the problem swallowing. There was obviously nothing the E.N.T. specialist could do, but he recommended that my husband see a spinal consultant, as he'd never seen anything like it before and 'it wasn't his field'.

Has anyone else heard of this problem? We're both worried sick, because as the years progress, this has the potential to kill him by totally blocking of his airway. He has an appointment with our GP on Friday for the referral, and I'm hoping they can do something.

8 Replies

  • I have problems in that area too, and I also broke my back, and yes I too am now having problems in my throat going hoarse sometimes, swallowing and the back of my neck, if sometimes I am sitting too long, without having my leg's up, then the pain is absolutely unbearable and the reverberation in my voice is so sore due to the reverberation in the back of my head from talking ,also any noise from passing lorries or anything loud causes me to squirm as it seems to get into my head, eating sometimes is a problem with swallowing.

    So I sympathise, and don't let it go as it can get worse.

    Best Alex

  • reported

  • Unrelated I kniw, but at a DWP "assessment" a so called nurse told me that spondylosis was a posh name for osteoarthritis of the neck... I was gobsmacked. Why have a specific name for it, if that is all it is?

    Anyway, your husband, he isn't alone, it's quite common in people who have discs out in the neck. I've also found that I have problems with my jaw from time-to-time, I can't open my mouth wide without pain or it clicking and locking. It's awful, and yet the surgeons won't do anything about it because of where the discs are bulging. IE Could cause more problems like paralysis!

    Try not to panic until he has at least had an MRI to determine whether they can put a cage around it. It's a relatively minor op, where they go in through the throat and place a metal cage around the neck. My brother had it done and he's fine now.

  • Make sure your husband is referred to a neurosurgeon, not a spinal or an orthopaedic surgeon. Spondylosis is not uncommon, but bone pressing so far onto the throat makes it that bit more complex. It is possible that he will need the bone trimmed away and the area fusing, supported by screws and a cage, all titanium. The cage is filled with synthetic bone to help new bone grow. It is a major invasive piece of surgery but the consultant will ensure whether it is necessary by further scans but especially x-rays with the neck flexed and the opposite. I have had all these tests and was preparing for the surgery but a period of watchful waiting produced some healing (after whiplashes and vertebral instability) ,so I have managed to avoid the op. It is a very successful surgery unlike some lumbar surgeries. I know someone who has had it and she now cycles coast to coast and God knows what else!

  • Thank you all for your comments :) It's good to know he's not alone.

    Calceolaria - I'll tell him to mention a neurosurgeon to the GP as our's isn't very forthcoming and wouldn't think of it herself. I was thinking about them trimming the bone, as it's just the calcifcation (says she!) that they need to get rid of. Not being a surgeon, I don't know the in's and out's so I don't know how difficult ths would be. a neurosurgeon makes sense though. I initially thought a spinal specialist as I'm seeing a really good one, and look upon him as a miracle worker! If anyone could solve it, he could!

  • Well Tosh, you go with the surgeon you have such faith in. That's the best recommendation of all.

  • Sorry, Tish, blinking predictive text!

  • Lol! xx

You may also like...