What type of scan please?

Good Afternoon ladies.

Would someone be able to help with a question please?

I recently had a second ultrasound scan (on Kidneys, Urethra and Bladder) after the consultant I saw said he did not trust the first scan which was carried out. The first scanner (a doctor) noted a simple left renal cyst, mild hydronephrosis in the right kidney and significant post void urinary volume. The second scan showed none of what the first scan showed, but I was told that my left ovary was swollen, although it did not state this in the 3 lined report I received from the consultant. Apparently my doctors report did state the swollen ovary. The reason for the scan was occasional blood in my urine and tummy pain. I am due to see my G.P tomorrow for results of a CA125 blood test my practice nurse said she wanted me to have. I have a swollen tummy, with lower tummy pain (hard to describe).

I will also get the results of VIt B12, Folate and Ferritin, which were all low in September.

I am wondering what sort of scan would be best in light of the continued pain etc?

Hope someone can advise.

Love and hugs


Last edited by

2 Replies

  • Hi, Bernie.

    If your previous ultrasound scans did not include one, you may well be offered a transvaginal ultrasound scan (TVU for short), which can get a different and hopefully clearer view of your ovaries. You are particularly likely to be offered this if your CA125 level is raised. One good thing about this scan - it's done when your bladder is empty, not when it's full!

    Hope all goes well for you, and let us know how you get on. We do care!


  • Hi Barbara.

    Thank you for replying. I'm glad my bladder will be empty for this one!!

    Is a raised CA125 level classed above 30?

    I'll let you know. Thank you for caring xx

    Bernie x

You may also like...