My Ovacome
10,027 members12,393 posts


Hi everyone!

My last post was about a CA125 blood test, which I have been told was okay, although me being a worrier I have read too many horror stories that it is not really a reliable test, so I don't think I will feel better until I know for certain, 100%!

Anyway, I went on holiday last week and I was okay, however I got back on Monday, and on Tuesday I started feeling really poorly. Sharp pains in my sides, and feeling very light headed and dizzy. When I bend down or twist the wrong way I get excruciating pains in the area of my ovaries that painkillers don't seem to touch. I rang my docs yesterday who asked me to go in straight away, the doctor then told me to go straight to hospital to have bloods taken to see if I am anaemic. I also mentioned that I am due to go on holiday on Sunday, backpacking around Europe... My doctor recommends I don't go, just in case I fall ill when I am out there. My dr said she thinks my cyst (which was 6cm on my last scan) may be growing, and if it grows any bigger it could twist on itself and cause extreme pain where I would need urgent medical care. She told me that my travel insurance would not cover me if this happened, and it would cost me a fortune to have this operation abroad.

I really don't know what to do. I have been given stronger painkillers which seem to put me in a daze... But the sharp pains concern me. I am worried my cyst may be getting bigger, and on my ultrasound they have found a tumour with solid parts in it on my other ovary, too. My appt with the gynaecologist isn't until 24th September, and my dr has said that if I don't go on holiday there is no guarantee I will be seen any sooner.

Has anyone else had similar pains to these and can shed any light on what might be wrong?

Thank you,


11 Replies

Hi Rebecca,

I am sorry that you are having so much pain, it doesn't seem like it is a good idea that you should go backpacking, not because I think you have OC but the fact that you do have a cyst and that it could give you problems while you are away so it is not worth the risk, I can see you will be disappointed but your wellbeing comes first, you are young and there will be other opportunities, I know it is not what you want to hear but this is my advise love and best wishes x G x

You could give the ovacome helpline a ring and speak to the nurse Ruth Payne she might be able to help you tel 0845 371 0554


Thank you for your reply. I know what you mean, I am just gutted because I am supposed to leave on Sunday morning, but I am concerned. I was on a beach holiday last week and I was fine, but since I have come back I know in my gut that something is wrong.

Thank you again for your reply, Rebecca xxx


Dear Rebecca

I totally agree with Gwyn. I am sure it is not what you want to hear about cancelling your holiday but being ill can be scary but it would be even worse in a foreign country where there might be language difficulties and different healthcare systems

. If you get acute pain again I would consider going to casualty. If you want to discuss this further do feel free to give us a ring at Ovacome.

Best Wishes



Thank you for your reply, Ruth. I have looked into travel insurance with 'awaiting surgery for a cyst' on it, and it is approx £70 for the 10 days I will be away. My doctor said to go to a&e if I start vomiting or get extreme sharp pain in my side. I have a 6cm cyst on my left ovary and a solid tumour on the right ovary, and it is my right side that hurts the most. I think I would regret it if I stayed at home and started to feel better, but I completely understand your point about being in a different country with a language barrier. I think I am making myself poorly with worry, as I still feel in limbo about everything!

Thank you again for your reply, it is much appreciated.

Rebecca xxx


Insurance isn't the issue Rebecca, your health and being sure if any treatment should anything go wrong is... It sounds like a smart idea to cancel. You know that, right? It must be terrifying right now. At some point I think most of us have had that "something wrong" conviction, and many tales on here show that listening to your inner voice is vital. The appointment isn't that far off though, so hang in there. You will know more soon


Sue xxx


Dear Rebecca,

Like the others I would really caution you against going. As has already been said, the insurance isn't the issue.

Being in hospital, for any reason is never what you want. Being in hospital abroad where language issues, separation from friends and family, cultural differences etc could make things feel so much worse really wouldn't be good.

I can understand how upsetting it feels to have to miss out on your holiday and why you say you'd feel gutted if you stayed at home and were fine. The point is that actually being away, carrying a rucksack, possibly trying to fit in too much (as is all too easy when there is so much to see and do), are all things that could exacerbate your condition.

I think in your heart you know that the trip isn't the right thing for you just now.

Wishing you well.


Zannah x


Hi Rebecca

I would strongly advise giving Ruth a ring. She will be able to help you to think things through clearly. In my case, it was a holiday that made me very aware that I couldn't go on as I was. On holiday I ran out of energy, couldn't walk up hills, couldn't enjoy my food, as I was full almost as soon as I started to eat, then I got dreadful diarrhoea ...... Sorry if this is TMI. It wasn't fun that holiday and I didn't even have a clue what was wrong. It took another 3 months to be diagnosed. You know there is something wrong. I think you know, in your heart of hearts, that it may be very scary to be away from support systems at home and your friends and family. Think very carefully. I know it's disappointing but there will be other times and other holidays, when you are well enough to really enjoy them.

All the best

Love Wendy xx


Hi Rebecca

I was assured by my medical team that my mass was a simple cyst and that it would be fine for my hubby and I to go on the trip we had planned. Well it was not a cyst and if the tumour had burst I may well have been in a different situation right now. I was not aware of Ovacome then !

Please don't put your health in danger. Cysts can wrap around and interfere with other organs , it is best for you to stay close to home . Because you are so young and your CA 125 is not raised , fingers crossed it is just a cyst...but please don't risk it.

Wishing you all the very best.

Charlie xxx


Hey Rebecca, I'm totally agreeing with all the lady above, as much of a disappoint it will be not going on your planned holiday wouldn't you rather be safe then sorry?, your young and have panty of time to go again once your fit and well. The last thing you would want is to be stuck in a foreign hospital? Least if your home you can get the quick treatment if needs be?



Dear Rebecca

I'm afraid I'm going to weigh in and second all the advice you've been given above. I'm a reckless person but if my GP told me not to go on holiday I wouldn't even be contemplating it. I have said in previous posts that I take the risk of going abroad without insurance for an ongoing condition so long as I know I can get a plane home in a few hours - but if you're very ill the airline just won't allow you on a plane. Don't take the risk and don't regret that decision even if you do feel better next week whilst you're taking things easy at home. Backpacking is a strenuous activity and you might well feel very poorly indeed.

Have you checked the policy details on any travel booked? Even without holiday insurance It may be you can exchange your tickets for another date given your doctor had advised you not to travel. I know this is possible with UK rail and national coach tickets.

As Gwyn says you'll have plenty of other opportunities.

Sending big hugs. xx Annie


Hello Rebecca and everyone else here,

I came across your forum post by doing a Google search, as I am in a very similar predicament you were in 3 years ago. I know it's been a while, but I'd like to know what happened with your situation.

What ultimately happened? Did you travel to Europe? Are you doing well today?

I'm due to fly next week, however, I'm anxious, tired, bloated, very uncomfortable, sometimes I get painful twinges on my left side (where the 6cm cyst is) - I'm wondering if I should risk a 7hr flight + many train travels over a 2 week period.

Even if nothing happens out there, I'm still physically bloated and I have to pee every 20-30 mins - it's ridiculous! The last thing I need is worry on my mind about a health concern while on vacation. It will ruin everything.

If you see this, please let me know. Or if anyone else has personal insight/experience, please contact me.

Thank yoU!


You may also like...